Pilot Jet Plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot Jet Plug?

I just read throught the Carb cleanup series again, and totice that, well at least on the GS850 the pilot jet has a plug over it. Well my '83GS550 doesn't. Could that be part or hopefully all of my flooging problem? :?

It could be. The concept behind the plug is that the pilot jet is fed from the main jet opening only. When the bike leans over the pilot jet tube (which is higher up than the main jet tube) could be fuel starved. By pulling gas through the lowest opening in the bowl (the main jet tube), it doesn't get starved. The carbs are designed to work that way, so you might be pulling too much fuel without the plug.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

That makes sence. Is there anything that I could to to rig one up. I seriously doubt that I can find one new anywhere.

Comment

duct tape and JB weld!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve-O
          That makes sence. Is there anything that I could to to rig one up. I seriously doubt that I can find one new anywhere.
          If they're not sold anymore, I bet you can buy an o-ring of the correct thickness and make some plugs out of it.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I would guess that the plugs can be ordered through bikebandit or by your local dealer. The plugs are nothing more than a soft rubber stopper. I would just scrounge an old rubber stopper as used for capping soda bottle or whatever and with a razorblade, "whittle" myself a new one. :-) a ahort length of small rubber vacuum hose with the end plugged would probably also work.

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
            If they're not sold anymore, I bet you can buy an o-ring of the correct thickness and make some plugs out of it.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

plugs

You mean these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MESE%3AIT&rd=1 . I wish you had posted before I put them up on e-bay, I would have sent thm to you just for the shiping :-(...Mike

Comment

I believe I got some of these from http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/ a couple years ago. I think Brad Maynar got some from a dealer recently.

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Ebay, they are on Ebay all the time about 5 to 10 bucks plus shipping ,get shopping.

Comment

No worries, Mike. I'll check my dealer today, and if that doesn't work I'll bid on yours. Thanks for all the help. I'll figure something out. 8)

Comment

So, Mike. are you pretty sure that your carb plugs will fit on my '83 550? My carb modle number is BSW30SS.

Comment

plugs

Sorry Steve, already sold :-(...Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X