manifol leak, high idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manifol leak, high idle

I've owned an 1982 gs550L for a couple years but I've been traveling so much I haven't been able to ride it. Now that I'm marginally stable I had it shipped out here to sunny CO. The problem is when it warms up it the idle rises to about 3500 rpm. By spraying wd-40 on the manifold mounts I've concluded there might be a leak in the manifolds. I can see what looks to be the o-rings peeling away (red rubber band like substance). Does anyone know where I could purchase these? Now that spring it here I can't wait to get out and ride.

-Elliot

The dealer will sell them. Or Bikebandit...or Dennis Kirk?
    Be sure to check the manifolds too for cracking. Apply some hi-temp' bearing grease to the new o-rings and torque to 6 lb/ft.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I was looking on bike bandit and I couldn't find them. Is there a standard size for these? Do you have a part number or know what oem schematic they would be under? Are they just called manifold o-rings? Thanks for your help.

-elliot

Comment

Look at the schematic for the Cylinder Head. It is part #22 in the diagram. Suzuki part number 09280-38003 which has been superseded by part number 09280-38004. Is that what you're talking about?

Comment

CrotchRocket.com will probably have the best prices:

CrotchRocket.com is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

While you're at it, order a couple of sets -- they're only a buck or so each.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

a second on the crotchrocket.com, they had prices at 60% of bikebandit's

search for your bike, then look at the manifold microfiche I think...

good luck!! let us know when you get it all up and running!!!

Comment

Yep, that looks like it. Thanks for your help guys. Another thing, The front left fork is leaking a little oil (not dripping or anything, just residue on the fork). I keep it clean so dirt doesn't eat away at what's left of the seal. Is replacing both seals a do-able job or should I take it in. Will it be alright if I leave it for a bit if I keep it clean or will it not be worth the risk.
              Thanks,
              Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by ebuller
                Yep, that looks like it. Thanks for your help guys. Another thing, The front left fork is leaking a little oil (not dripping or anything, just residue on the fork). I keep it clean so dirt doesn't eat away at what's left of the seal. Is replacing both seals a do-able job or should I take it in. Will it be alright if I leave it for a bit if I keep it clean or will it not be worth the risk.
                Thanks,
                Elliot
                Make another topic to get more answers and more detail of how to replace the seals. You can do it.
                I don't think you have to jump on it right now if you'd rather wait a while. Wiping off any excess is smart though. Some lubes, especially anything with SILICONE in it, may add some life to the seals.
                To avoid overspray mess, spray some in a cup and brush it on the fork leg so it wells up over the dust cap. Push the forks up and down a few times and repeat once. This can minimize the leaking.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                X