Lapping valves on gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lapping valves on gs550

Anyone got any insight on valve lapping? I got a slightly used head to replace the one that was on the bike (previous owner tried to adjust the valves and ended up crashing 2 onto the pistons, I got the bike cheap). I was going to get a pro to do the work (replace valves etc), but I don't have the dough for it. I've been told these valves have a thin coating on them that if worn through, could result in some big trouble. Thoughts, suggestions?

I'm new to this site. It is an amazing resource! So many people doing the same thing I'm doing.

-Matt

I saw a post from a builder here that did not recommend lapping the valves. I like to clean seats a bit on valves, i use a smooth paste (clover) and lightly polish seats, maybe a few squeeks nothing more.

Do a leak test. Upside down the head and level it off. Pout kerosene or diesel into the chambers and wait a minute. See if any leaks past the closed valves into the ports. If not, leave well enough alone.

you have to remove the cams for this and have the springs on the valves. Don't use gasoline, too flammible. Kero or diesel is safer.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Re: Lapping valves on gs550

Originally posted by indochina
      Anyone got any insight on valve lapping? I got a slightly used head to replace the one that was on the bike (previous owner tried to adjust the valves and ended up crashing 2 onto the pistons, I got the bike cheap). I was going to get a pro to do the work (replace valves etc), but I don't have the dough for it. I've been told these valves have a thin coating on them that if worn through, could result in some big trouble. Thoughts, suggestions?

I'm new to this site. It is an amazing resource! So many people doing the same thing I'm doing.

-Matt
      When I went to Suzuki school they taught not to lap valves, Suzuki used a special cutter to cut the valve seat then add new valve perfect fit,don't know about any coatings.

Comment

Re: Lapping valves on gs550

Originally posted by Jackrp
        Originally posted by indochina
        . I've been told these valves have a thin coating on them that if worn through, could result in some big trouble. Thoughts, suggestions?

-Matt
        When I went to Suzuki school they taught not to lap valves, Suzuki used a special cutter to cut the valve seat then add new valve perfect fit,don't know about any coatings.
        Thanks for the info. I meant that the coating is on the valve seats, not the valves. I think it's called "lumalite" or something? I will test the valves for leaks today.

Comment

Working...
        X