79 750LN carb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 750LN carb help

Well, here is a more recent update. I have rebuilt and installed a used petcock. The bike will now start off of starting fluid. It won't start without spraying ether into the air intake. I don't know what this means. It seems that if it can pull starting fluid and then gas through the carbs, why can't it pull gas through on the first try. I am going to try new spark plugs, but I have a sinking feeling that the carbs need cleaned. Does anyone know where I can find a good guide on how to do this myself? I would prefer to have a professional do this, but I have yet to get an estimate of less the 200 dollars for this.

Re: 79 750LN carb help

The carbs are not pulling gas through in idle range probably because the choke circuits are clogged, so choke has no effect and the idle passageways are clogged so it will not run at idle rpm. I am guessing when you get it started on ether, you have it running at an rpm high enough that it is running on the slide needles and not the idle circuits.

There is a carb rebuild series with pictures on the main page of the GSR.
    It is for CV carbs though which are a bit different than your VM type.
    If you have previous carb experience, you will be ok. If none, you may find it a bit confusing trying to apply those specifics to your VM carbs.

Where are you? There may be someone nearby that can help you out with the rebuild.

Earl

Originally posted by ringo00
    Well, here is a more recent update. I have rebuilt and installed a used petcock. The bike will now start off of starting fluid. It won't start without spraying ether into the air intake. I don't know what this means. It seems that if it can pull starting fluid and then gas through the carbs, why can't it pull gas through on the first try. I am going to try new spark plugs, but I have a sinking feeling that the carbs need cleaned. Does anyone know where I can find a good guide on how to do this myself? I would prefer to have a professional do this, but I have yet to get an estimate of less the 200 dollars for this.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I am about an hour south of Chicago. Have no previous carb experience, so I think I would rather leave it to a professional. The carbs were just rebuilt last season, do you think they need it again?

Comment

If the bike has/had been sitting for some months, gas can turn to varnish and the passages would get clogged, so its entirely probable due to lack of use, they need cleaning again. I believe we have some members in your area.
        Hopefully, some will be close enough to lend a hand. If worse comes to worse and you cant find anyone, I guess you could always UPS them to me and I could soak and replace the "O" rings and static synch them for you.
        I havent any idea what shipping would be, but I know I can beat the devil out of a $200 quote. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by ringo00
        I am about an hour south of Chicago. Have no previous carb experience, so I think I would rather leave it to a professional. The carbs were just rebuilt last season, do you think they need it again?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I found a guy here in town that has worked on this particular bike before. He said he will clean and synch the carbs and do an overall tune up for 150. I think I will have him do it.

Comment

Working...
          X