No announcement yet.

Stupid Question? Transporting Bike in Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four good straps, side stand down, ~30% fork compression.....1700 mile trip in the back of a pick-up with no problems.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lich
      Four good straps, side stand down, ~30% fork compression.....1700 mile trip in the back of a pick-up with no problems.....
      2 straps in the front. 2 on the back. 1 on the front wheel. sidestand down. fork compression @ 30%......3000 mile round trip from NH to FLA and back on a 4x8 trailer............No problems 8) 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted:
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

be sure to check again if it starts raining. most of the nylon straps will stretch significantly when wet!! 8O

Comment

blke

I pulled the tires off of mine an heli arced the rims to the alloy diamond plate in the bed of my truck, then welded the tail gate closed for added protection,
          when I got home I pulled the axles out and used my overhead hoist to pull it out, the rims are still there for the next time. 8O 8O 8O

Comment

Re: blke

That actually would be kind of amusing. Roll the bike into the truck bed, remove the rims/tires and substitute an old scrap set of rims. Weld'em to the truck bed and for fun, park the the truck in a questionable neighborhood and wait for someone to try to steal it. You could be on America's funniest videos. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
            I pulled the tires off of mine an heli arced the rims to the alloy diamond plate in the bed of my truck, then welded the tail gate closed for added protection,
            when I got home I pulled the axles out and used my overhead hoist to pull it out, the rims are still there for the next time. 8O 8O 8O
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Over the years I have moved many bikes in the back of my trucks and on several occasions I have moved two at a time over long distance.

One thing that wasn't mention was to lock the front wheel. I once had a strap loosen (cheep ratchet) and the front wheel turned in the bed of the truck and started to lean.

After that I put a 2 by 6 across the box (with a box liner that has a spot to do this). Then screwed 2 by 4's for the wheel to roll into.

I now move them in a trailer and I have 2 by 4's screwed into the floor at a 45 to the side to roll the front tire into. They don't move at all.

I also have found that the straps will loosen over the miles and if it's raining I check them more often. I don't know if the straps expand when wet or not but they seem to loosen more in the rain.

Hope some of this helps.

Comment

OK, so it seems a few of you have done this before? :roll:

:? If I don't have diamond plate in the back of my truck, can I just run drywall screws thru the side walls of the tires into the 1/8 inch plywood floor of my bed? :P

Comment

Originally posted by gesnerj59
                  Unfortunately, it's not a full size truck. It's a Toyota 4x4. Six foot bed. I figured I'd have to travel with the tailgate down.
                  I have done the exact same thing (same truck and bike), you will have to ride with the tailgate down. What I did for that was in addition to stabilizing the back wheel run a set of straps from the front of the bed to the back wheel to constantly pull the bike forward. Of course this is not really necesarry but I tend to go overboard with tie downs. Also if you do not have enough straps 12 gauge romex (housing electrical wire) will work pretty well if you twist it together real good with a pair of pliers (i still reccomend the straps). and like everyone else I highly recommend checking it every 100 or so miles

good luck, the 750 is a hell of a ride.

Comment

Working...
                  X