It´s time to replace cam chain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It´s time to replace cam chain...

My cam chain has 50.000 Km or maybe more.
    I?ve adjusted the chain tensioner several times , now I can hear a little noise coming from inside the engine. and the tensioner is in the limit.
    Can someone explain me step by step how to change the cam chain?
    What can you tell me about DID chains?
    Thanks in advance.

Eliseo.

???? ARE YOU talking about replacing the rear drive chain ? it is adjustable
    The cam chain tensioner is automatic & not adjustable, some noise at idle is normal. The cam chain should last 50K miles or more (100,000 km). DID chains? they are a well known company. Acording to the factory it requires complete engine disassembly. IF you have some way to rivit the new chain ? it could be replaced without engine disassemble.

Comment

Thanks Lynn for your interest in help me.
      I?m talking about replace the cam chain.
      At this moment the noise at idle is not normal and increases when I rev up the engine.
      Yes, the cam chain tensioner is self adjusted, but reading the Suzuki manual I found that it?s posibble to adjust a bit more turning the knurled wheel.
      Doing this I could reduce the noise three or for times before, but now is not possible.
      I know that some people cuts that chain pulling out a pin, and makes a hook between the old and the new chain.
      Doing this it?s not nesessary engine disassembly.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Lynn for your interest in help me.
        I?m talking about replace the cam chain.
        At this moment the noise at idle is not normal and increases when I rev up the engine.
        Yes, the cam chain tensioner is self adjusted, but reading the Suzuki manual I found that it?s posibble to adjust a bit more turning clockwise the knurled wheel.
        Doing this I could reduce the noise three or four times before, but now is not possible.
        I know that some people cuts that chain pulling out a pin, and makes a hook between the old and the new chain.
        Doing this it?s not necessary engine disassembly.

Thanks.

Comment

Could just be the cam chain guides? Cam chain should be good for a lot longer than 50k km.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Cam chain

You can buy (search in U.K) a split link cam chain which saves you from total strip down.
            some people don't like them! I do, I fitted one to a GS550 and also a GS1000, no problem atall. Just make sure you time it up properly, it's easy if you have 2 people to do it, basically to hold one side of the chain while you tap the soft link together.

Comment

Hola, veo que tambi?n sos de uruguay, asi que te escribo en espa?ol nom?s. Yo tengo una gs 425 y tambi?n tengo que cambiarle la cadena porque la desarm? para cambiarle los pistones y ya que la tengo desarmada, la cambio.

En mi opini?n, las D.I.D son las mejores que hay por ac?. Para que moto es?, yo tengo un amigo que tiene una gs 650g del 83, asi que si quer?s le puedo preguntar bien y te digo como es.

Comment

cam chain

Ah! yes! I understand that!!!!!!

Comment

Re: Cam chain

Originally posted by feelergaugephil
                  You can buy (search in U.K) a split link cam chain which saves you from total strip down.
                  Are you talking about something like this?

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwAAAJ4VMhZ9sp9ypTHl0Fr3e*Kw86gP1CB4eRUnt!KazEJxr IitSuyL*Adp2o9AA5KYXVvNGqC2X5W8o8oaEDD70UXOj0o!boD LLJlfWD8/tool.jpg[/img]

Comment

in reply

NO! Thats a chain splitter! The split chain is the right chain for the bike you request, but it's not endless, it has a soft link, much like a chain with a split link, but there is no split, you have to close up the link yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X