Shaft boot leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft boot leak

My GS 650 G has an important leak in the shaft boot area.
    I think it come from the shaft output.
    Does anyone had a leak like this?
    If so, could you explain me how to stop it or change the oil seal ?

Thanks in advance.

Eliseo.

that is a final drive seal failure, pretty rare but it does happen, normally it only happens on high mileage bikes.

I do not know about the clearance on the 650 but on the 850 and 1000/1100G you just need to remove the rear wheel, take off the shocks and rear caliper, remove the drive shaft flange bolts and then loosen the lock nuts and remove the swing arm pivot bolts. (they screw out)
    you then slide the swing arm out.
    this will allow you to get to the final drive output retaining bolts, you will need to loosen the rear case bolts to allow you to pull the final drive out.

once you have it out you just remove the lock nut that holds the assembly together and disassemble.
    then carefully pry/drive the old seal out and carefully install the new seal.
    when re-assembling the final drive assembly make sure to set pre load on the bearings correctly.

from start to finnish it took me about two hours total tops to change the seal on my 1000G

Comment

Leon,

Thanks for your interest in help me.
      My bike has 95.000 KM and it?s leaking black engine oil trough some holes in the shaft rubber boot.
      Being more specific here goes the fiche.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQAQA0sUQLtQetkAgEhNL0H5ah1sD2wFvsUPdngLW7m5l5iTX JKz0Bmqy9uhSauKograN*qyGsHqwOBlc3v6KB1bDVJAHMNWqdt V2Q!jK4w/47.jpg[/img]

Thanks.

Comment

yep thats the one!
        that is the big differance between the smaller shafties and the bigger ones, (850 and up) they do not have a secondary gear box.
        on the larger bikes the final drive gears run in a internal separate gear box that has 90W gear oil in it, the smaller shafties use the engine oil to lubricate the final drive gears.

Comment

I have the same problem where my boot is leaking and I started to get a vibration at higher speeds that stopped when I put the clutch in. I just started tearing into it tonight...

I wanted to confirm that there should be NO oil in the driveshaft boot or driveshaft. I tore the bike down enough to get the swingarm, driveshaft components, and boot completely off, but I don't know what to do next. I took the little cover off to find out it's only cosmetic when trying to get at it from the side, and when I loosened the four bolts that look to keep the boot snap on, it wouldn't come off. Any tricks, explainations, or pictures out there?

My final drive has all the teeth, but I can wobble it around, is that normal? I am ordering a new seal for it tomorrow, since it is probably bad.

This may be my first post, but I've visited here and posted before, but my account was deleted probably due to inactivity. I love the board and the knowledge available here though!

Comment

there are four bolts that hold the final drive in the back of the transmission, it is also squeezed by the two halfs of the engine/transmission cases.
            you will need to loosen the case bolts along the back and a couple up the left side so you can get the final drive assembly out.
            it fits in there pretty snug, so it will take some work to get it out.

if you removed the big nut and the final drive flange, the shaft will be loose and wobble as the flange and nut set preload on the bearings.
            if the flange wobbled (sounds like it) with it installed, the final drive bearings are bad and will need replacing as well as the seal.

Comment

The bolt/nut that holds the driveshaft to the final drive assembly has sheared completely off right before the nut, so the nut is trapped in the driveshaft assembly (I hope that makes sense).

The final drive assembly will not come out. I got it out enough to where two o-ring seals are showing, but it stops at the second seal and will not come completely out... It feels like it is binding on something or a bolt is holding it in to the transmission somehow. I have no idea how to get this thing out. Am I going to need to pull the motor?

About a quarter of the final drive ring also broke off while I was trying to pry it out, so I'm starting to think that buying parts will be more than the bike is even worth now.

Comment

It seems like I have to split the engine case in order to get this assembly out. Is that right?

Is there a manual for a GS650GLZ online somewhere?

I think I might just scrap this bike.

Comment

Is this where I'm supposed to post this?

CHAINS RULE. :twisted: :P 8)

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
                    Is this where I'm supposed to post this?

CHAINS RULE. :twisted: :P 8)
                    no this belongs in the Ladies only forum!!

Comment

wicked, if you have broke the output shaft coming out of the transmission you are looking at $150 for the gear set (Alpha-sport) and the housing is $74 (alpha-sport)
                      I have not taken apart a 650, but have done it on its big brother (1000G) and it was in there very tight, I loosened three or four case bolts on eather side of the output housing and then I managed to work it out as there is just enough room to get it out.
                      the 650 should have just enough room to get it out, but you will need to take a close look and see if it is hitting the frame.
                      if it is you can loosen the engine mounts and move the engine over a bit to gain more room.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Wicked

Can someone tell me the secondary drive oil seal OD diameter. ID diameter and thikness?

Or flange diameter were this oil seal works and housing diameter were this seal is fitted?

Comment

I want to get the final drive assembly out, so I?ve loosened four bolts that hold the final drive in the back of the transmission and some case bolts along the back and a couple up the left side but I haven?t luck.
                          It could be a good idea retighten the bolts , warm up the engine, loose again the bolts and try to get out the final drive assembly?
                          Is there any kind of special tool for this job?

Wicked; what happened with your bike? :roll:

Comment

Working...
                          X