82 GS750T Hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS750T Hesitation

I got my bike back together after cleaning the carbs and doing some electrical work. I've put about 120 miles on it so far and now it 's hesitating.

It will seem to hesitate when I take off but when I let off the throttle momentarily and give 'er again, it'll take off like a raped ape. It does it also when I'm holding it at a constant speed, along with a bit of popping through the exhaust.

It's hard to explain the sound it makes when it's hesitating but it sounds like it's missing on 1 or more cylinders and when it "snaps out of it", it sounds clean and takes off.

When I put the carbs back on, I forgot to hook up the 2 vent tubes, could this be the problem? I have fairly big hands/fingers so getting them on with the carbs on the bike is near impossible.

Also, now that the carbs are cleaned, could the carbs be out of sync? This is what I'm thinking and plan to get it done tomorrow.

I just bought this bike last year and it was parked for a number of years before that. This is the first year I've ridden it so I am a bit unfamiliar with it's past and what the previous owner may have played around with.

The tank is clean, carbs are clean, petcock is clean and working as expected....just some hesitation to figure out.

Thanks.

When I put the carbs back on, I forgot to hook up the 2 vent tubes, could this be the problem?
    If you have the stock airbox, the vents need to have the tubes installed.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
      When I put the carbs back on, I forgot to hook up the 2 vent tubes, could this be the problem?
      If you have the stock airbox, the vents need to have the tubes installed.
      I will do so...but what is the purpose of them? I heard something about equalizing the pressure...but how does the tube do that better than not having it attached? I mean, this may sound dumb, but there is still an outlet to the "outside world" without the tube attached...

Would the vent tubes be the main cause of my problem or should I get the carbs synced as well?

Comment

I heard something about equalizing the pressure...but how does the tube do that better than not having it attached? I mean, this may sound dumb, but there is still an outlet to the "outside world" without the tube attached...
        I hear ya. I'm just repeating what I have heard in the years of roaming this forum. I think it has something to do with a little added pressure from the length of the lines. I've heard people say that the length can even make a difference.

There have been a few things that people say are an absolute must, yet my bike ran ok without following thier instructions. I don't know...

should I get the carbs synced as well?
        A carb synch is definitely the best thing you can do. This is something that will make a huge difference no matter what is happening. I can't believe I ignored the advice to synch my carbs for so long! It made a huge difference in two things for me: vibration (virtually eliminated it) and throttle response (no hesitiation). Synch the carbs before you consider anything else major.

The problem you are experiencing is common with a lean condition casued by air intake leaks between the carbs and the motor. Try spraying WD40 at the intake tubes while it's idleing. If your RPMs change, you have an air leak.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
        X