16V head swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16V head swap?

hey all. out of curiosity, can a 16 valve head for a GS550 be swapped over to a 8 valve model? there is a head on ebay, and it's off a 1984 model. mine's a 78. it looks pretty clean, and would give a bit better performance, and from what folks tell me is actually easier to do vavle jobs on. since both engines are dual overhead cam, would i have to update my cam chains and adjuster? or is it just a swap over, and everything else would kick into place once ignition timing/valves were set? i imagine that i would have to set timing to the 1984 bikes specs, if i am not mistaken? this is all theoretical of course. any ideas?

From what i have read here on the GSR i would say no

Comment

Re: 16V head swap?

I havent looked into that, so I cant say from experience, but I would expect that the oil passages to the head would not match up between the 8 and 16 valve heads. I believe NO is the answer.

Earl

Originally posted by shoggoth80
      hey all. out of curiosity, can a 16 valve head for a GS550 be swapped over to a 8 valve model? there is a head on ebay, and it's off a 1984 model. mine's a 78. it looks pretty clean, and would give a bit better performance, and from what folks tell me is actually easier to do vavle jobs on. since both engines are dual overhead cam, would i have to update my cam chains and adjuster? or is it just a swap over, and everything else would kick into place once ignition timing/valves were set? i imagine that i would have to set timing to the 1984 bikes specs, if i am not mistaken? this is all theoretical of course. any ideas?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

hmm.. bummer. would have been a neat swap. what about a hole 16 valve engine? what years fit? i know that the GS series ran 8 valves up until 1982. i am in all actuality looking for a decent motor for the bike, as extra insurance. isn't there also an electronic ignition mod for the GS bikes? if so, i may have to look into it. not a fan of computers or anything close to them in vehicles, but a simple magnet driven unit would be a decent practical mod. my kawasaki has a CDI ignition, and i am glad about this, as points are a thing of the past with it. downside? it has a mini-brain box. but i suppose it's a small sacrifice.

Comment

Once again, I have never owned a 550 4 cylinder, but as far as I know all GS models were 8 valve heads up to and including 1979. After that, all models changed beginning with 1980 to 16 valve heads. The exception to that is the 850 shaft drive models which I do not believe were ever changed to the 16 valve design.

I used to have a 79 750E with the stock 8 valve engine. I installed an 81 16 valve engine. The 16 valve engine cases were shorter and narrower than the 8 valve cases. It required centering the engine in the frame and making new engine mounts. It was not at all a direct bolt in. Nothing lined up to the original mounts if the engine was to be centered. I would check to find out what the dimensions of early and later 550 engine cases are before buying a spare engine. I would not be surprised if they are different.

A Dyna D electronic ignition comes in a model that will fit your bike. It uses no "brain box" or computer at all. (No GS models were built with CDI ignitions, only electronic or points)

Earl

Originally posted by shoggoth80
          hmm.. bummer. would have been a neat swap. what about a hole 16 valve engine? what years fit? i know that the GS series ran 8 valves up until 1982. i am in all actuality looking for a decent motor for the bike, as extra insurance. isn't there also an electronic ignition mod for the GS bikes? if so, i may have to look into it. not a fan of computers or anything close to them in vehicles, but a simple magnet driven unit would be a decent practical mod. my kawasaki has a CDI ignition, and i am glad about this, as points are a thing of the past with it. downside? it has a mini-brain box. but i suppose it's a small sacrifice.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
          X