Oil pan gasket fix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pan gasket fix.

I just rebuilt the petcock, and drained the oil. I put a new filter in and want to put a new seal on the oil pan before adding oil. Looks like I will have to drop the whole exhoust before I can get to the oil pan. Do I need to replace any parts on the exhoust like gaskets or anything before I put the header back on? Also in my manual I see a round screen under the motor behind the oil pan. Do I need to clean anything inside the motor or put any filters in it while the pan is down? I have an 82 GS 850L W stock pipes by the way. Thanks Chris.

Motorcycle specific oil?

Does motorcycle specific oil have any advantages? Like to the clutch or any other parts. I intend on getting some just to be sure. Should I stray from the recomended oil since I have a 20 yr olld bike?

Comment

We just covered this issue in a recent post. Read this link for a great opinion from a chemist: www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

Comment

Thanks. I am still wondering about the seals one the header. The ones I have seen in the past are two pieces of metal per pipe. I was told that they are like compresion fittings and are spent each time you take them out. I have seen other guys just use them over and over again.

Comment

I tried to reuse my last exhaust gaskets last time I replaced the pipe and had tons of leaks. They are designed to crush when you tourqe down the manifold bolts so I recommend you replace them.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The header pipes seal can lak if reused. best to replace them while you are at it.

Comment

Thanks. I am still wondering about the seals one the header. The ones I have seen in the past are two pieces of metal per pipe. I was told that they are like compresion fittings and are spent each time you take them out. I have seen other guys just use them over and over
              Those half-shell collars can be re-used. The exhaust gaskets are something else and they should be replaced. You'll find the gaskets stuck up in the exhaust port after removing the exhaust, pry them out with a screwdriver. To keep the new ones in place while you're installing the pipe, try bending them slightly oval, just enough so they'll fit snug into the exhaust port.
              Axel

Comment

Ahhhh. Now I have been educated.

Thanks. I almost decided to just put the oil in and fix the leak when it became a real gusher. I'll go find some gaskets and get it done.

Comment

Working...
                X