Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weak #2 Cylinder Exuast, Are my Rings Blown!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak #2 Cylinder Exuast, Are my Rings Blown!

1980 GS 450L
    Starts and Idles fine but exaust feels weak at #2. I tried to take it for a ride but it felt like it had no power! I replaced the plugs and it ran fine for a day...full power...but then, #2 plug fouled. I checked it...wet with oil. What could be the problem...Blown rings?? I kinda need to get her on the road if I wan't to save on the gas money!!

Appreciated, Joe

Blue smoke?
    Can you check compression?
    Might be stuck rings, try a little transmission fluid in the cylinders overnight or marvel mystery oil for a few days,

Get it running and take it for a ride, might free things up a bit. just change the oil after pouring stuff into the cylinder.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

A little smoke just out of the #2 for a few minutes...but then it goes away. I ran it a little today...seemed good...took off OK...But at an idle the #2 exaust sounds like a firing range with all the backfires. Pretty constant ones almost like a heartbeat.

A new Problem has arisen as well...it's idling at about 4000 rpm! I tried the idle adjustment at the twist throttle...backed it up all the way so I could twist it and nothing would happen and it still was revvin high. The adjustment inbetween the carbs is set fine. when you put it in gear...( 8O loud clacking!) It stays the same RPM too. Untill you pull out and the RPM's drop down and does its usual. Choke stuck on maybe?? I'll tinker some more

-Joey

Comment

New air intake leak? Check the manifold boots and the exhaust manifold clamps.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Intake looks good, clamps are tight. Boots are in good condition and I can't find any leaks. Could that be why it's revving so high? How do you adjust the air fuel mixture on those minuki carbs??? Maybe that's whats up

-Joey

Comment

Spray wd40 around the boot when the engine is running, that will find a leak that you can't see. I would stay away from the idle screws until you are 101% sure it is not a vacuum leak because it sure does sound like one. How about the small screw that is in the boot ( the one that is removed for syncing the carbs)?

Actually upon further reflection I realized that an exhaust valve could be hanging up. Can you do a compression test? The clanging could indicate valvetrain trouble. Fuel being drawn past an open exhaust valve would backfire in the exhaust pipe.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

When you dropped it in gear at 4g there was probably a loud crunch clunk as the gears messed at that speed. It would have been a one time noise as once the gears are meshed, no more noise or at least not than noise.
              Could your throttle linkage have gone out of whack in a big way?

Don

Comment

I allways find it better to spray water mist on to the intake boots,you hear the cylinder try to die in an instant if you have a leak.
                Do a carb sync.

Comment

alrighty...

I sprayed the boots with water...no leaks that i can see. All around with a mirror and a flashlight to what I couldn't see and their was no leaks.

I tested for compression by removing my sparkplug and putting my finger over the hole when I started it. It kinda sucked in a little bit and then shot my finger off the hole. I don't know if that's enough...but their is definitely some compression.

then I thought about the spark. So I checked the spark and got the hell shocked out of me! Holding on to the boot with the plug about 1/4 in. away from the heads. We have spark! I don't know if I should of been shocked or not...but it sparked.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Joey

Comment

If the plug is oiled fouled nothing else matters the bike wont run right until that prblem is fixed and it can only mean piston and rings or valve quides and seals. many times on a old motor the valves seals are just bad as they get brittle over time

Comment

get a compression tester and report the results.if the suspect hole is low squirt a teaspoon or so of oil in and repeat the test.
                      increase means rings.no change means valves gasket, ect.
                      had a 305 honda dream that smoked bad and i fixed it by taking out the plugs and squirting berrymans b12 in the holes whenever i was near it.
                      freed the stuck rings and it stopped burning oil.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!! I hope some oil will free up those rings cause I can't afford any more parts!

-Joey

Comment

Working...
                        X