What the HELL is this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the HELL is this thing?

Ok, just a dumb question. While I had the carbs of my dad's gs1100L for a cleaning I happend to notice this....thing sticking out of the back of the motor, underneath where the carbs sit. It appears to be some sort of springy valve. You can see a large coil spring around it with a knurled knob at the end. I have no idea what this thing is. Anyone know? On a side note....I'm just waiting for a new vacuum petcock to arrive before I try and fire up the 1100. It hasn't run in 14 years but I've been laboring the last month to get the bike back into running shape. I can't wait for this damn part to arrive so I can try and fire it. I want to see if all my hardwork and knuckle busting has paid off. (Oh, and yes. Tomorrow I'm going to call that guy and see if I can go and pick up that GS650E for 100 bucks. 100 dollars for a 650E! I'm still in shock. The only reason I didn't plunk the cash down on the spot was because I wasn't sure if the motor was seized or not.

springy knobby thing...
    lets see, if it's on the carbs, that'd be the idle adjusting screw, if it's on the engine, it'd be the cam chain tensioner, self adjusting.

Comment

What you are looking at is an oil leak waiting to happen. Err, that is the automatic cam chain tensioner.

Steve

Comment

That's the Recalcitrant Flux Tabulator under those carbs.... :twisted:

Sometimes known as a cam chain tensioner.

Comment

Ah!

Thanks! I never heard of an automatic cam chain tensioner. I hope nothing goes wrong with it because I haven't a freakin clue how it works. :P

Comment

Its the automatic cam chain tensioner. AND, I know it looks inviting, having that great big knurled knob you could turn and that cute little wound springey thing to watch curl up, but resist that urge. DONT MESS with it! heh heh
            Unless of course you want to be buying a new engine because of all the bent and torn up internal parts that resulted from being curious.

Ever hear the term, self destruction? :-)

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Psssst.... hey kid.... wanna see a cam chain tensioner STRIPPED DOWN?

These things looooooove to leak.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

We had mine off last winter...it's weeping oil now of course....

Comment

Pssst, mines bone dry now, thanks to: http://bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                    Pssst, mines bone dry now, thanks to: http://bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html

likewise!!! take it off, clean it, and replace the gasket, and o-rings.

it'll cost you 10 bucks, and is well worth it!

Comment

How strange. I've had dozens off and on, some 6 or 7 times in one day and I have never had one leak a drop. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by AOD

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                        How strange. I've had dozens off and on, some 6 or 7 times in one day and I have never had one leak a drop. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by AOD
                        Yeah, but your'e NOT the norm Earl. :P

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
                          Originally posted by earlfor

Earl

Originally posted by AOD
                          Yeah, but your'e NOT the norm Earl. :P
                          No kidding. Two differences from the norm at least:
                          (1) By my quick calculations, he's due to pass 10,000 posts on May 30th.
                          (2) Most of those posts were insightful and helpful.

We should all aspire to this. And that's enough feeding of his ego for now

Comment

Re: What the HELL is this thing?

Originally posted by runforyourlife82
                            Ok, just a dumb question. While I had the carbs of my dad's gs1100L for a cleaning I happend to notice this....thing sticking out of the back of the motor, underneath where the carbs sit.
                            That thing, sonny, is how you tell the gender of your GS.

Comment

I heard that. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Flying Low
                              And that's enough feeding of his ego for now

Comment

Working...
                              X