Choke plunger seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke plunger seal

I'm in the middle of an ongoing carb rebuild for my '85 GS550L with the weird dual throat carbs. Exploded diagram linked below.

#41 in the diagram is the choke plunger. On the other side (no separate part #), there is a rubber seal that is embedded into the plunger. Mine were dry rotted and cracked.

I should've left them alone, but I dug at one with a pick, and managed to get it out. I was hoping I would be able to get an o-ring to replace it in some way. Once it is out, I see that the brass is flanged up around the seal, so squeezing anything else in there will be about impossible.

I was thinking of using some sort of sealant or gasket material to fill in the hole, and then trim off the excess with a razor once it sets. Unfortunately, the list of fuel-proof products at that auto store is short.

Or, maybe I could order the part, but I'd like to get it up and going sooner than all that.

Any help?

Rob

Nobody has any ideas? There are some new Permatex products, MotoSeal 1 & 2. That are gasoline proof. Does anyone have any experience with these? Which one? Would one be more appropriate? My local AutoZone has a lot of Permatex products, but not these.

I have some fuel-proof o-rings and some flexible fuel-proof glue (that shrinks a lot when it dries, so it won't work as a standalone replacement). I was thinking of cutting and fitting as much o-ring in there as I could, and gluing the mess together. Once set, maybe it could be trimmed to fit. This is a very ugly fix, and is predicated on the hope that the MEK-based glue won't eat the o-rings.

It looks like the part can be ordered for about $16 each, so with shipping, I'm set for $40 this afternoon; if nobody has an alternative...

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Save time & fix it right! Order the new parts

Comment

rmcdo, go to JT Motorsports they have them for $10.20 each http://www.crotchrocket.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Comment

Working...
        X