what block is this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what block is this

i noticed a small oil leak on the front of my newly aquired GS1100GLZ.
    Centered in the front of the head, between the cylinders where the head meets the block. There is bolt hole. Directly in front of the cam chain. If i look at the photos in my Factory GS book there is a matching protrusion on the upper block deck for a bolt to go thu the block and into the head at this point. The block on this bike does NOT have a protruded casting to match the head protrusion and bolt hole, so there is no bolt. The head overhangs the block at this point. (the block is not broken or machined this way, original casting) (thus a slight leak) SO, what block is on this bike. 1150? HELP! thanks

I am pretty sure that it is not an 1150. The 1100GLZ is a shaftdrive, so that means it is an 8 Valve head. It is possible that you have the block from a 1000. My '78 1000 has the bolt in the whole that you were mentioning. My guess would be that it is a bored out 1000 block, but i could be wrong.

Any one who knows better please chime in.
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

if your 1000 has the bolt hole than that probably is not it. The head has the hole. The block does not. Maybe differant year 1100?

Comment

Nert
        Sounds like you have an early (78-79) GS1000 cylinder block. Flatline, it sounds like you've got a 80 or newer block. Look at the differences in cylinders here http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
        The original displacement of the block is stamped on a pad on the lower right corner (facing the engine) hope this helps!

Terry

Comment

good tip humhead!!
          it is a 1000cc cylinders, according to the casting.
          bored? i don't know
          could the head still be an 1100. or do they use the same head?
          does the VIN number tell me what size engine? maybe it was always an 1000 and not an 1100 as the guy told me that i bought it from. Is the bottom end the same? how about the cams?
          thanks again humhead

Comment

Nert, I was told by reliable sources that the 1000 and 1100 heads and blocks were interchangable the only difference being that one bolt that the 1100 has and the 1000 doesn't.

Comment

I was told by reliable sources that the 1000 and 1100 heads and blocks were interchangable the only difference being that one bolt that the 1100 has and the 1000 doesn't.
              Close, but not quite. The 78-79 2 vavlve 1000s didn't have the bolt in question. 80-81 1000s (2 valve) did. All 2 valve 1100s have it as well. At some point after 79, Suzuki stopped making the early block, so the 80-81 block was specified as a 78-79 replacement.
              could the head still be an 1100. or do they use the same head?
              The easiest way to tell is to count the number of valve cover bolts on the front edge of the valve cover (exhaust side) 4= 1981 or older 1000 5 = 82 or newer 1100.
              The engine number should be stamped on a flat pad near the oil fill hole. What is it? The older, chain drive GS engine number started with the displacement For example: GS1000-119009. The frame number is on the steering head pipe. If it hasn't peeled off the should be a sticker there that has the month and year your bike was built.
              The 1100 has a 2mm larger bore & a 1.2mm longer stroke. The cams are the same.
              Terry

Comment

humhead
                you are a wonderful source of infortmation.
                The chassis is an 82, 1100glZ

The head appears to be that of an => 82 1100

The serial number on the block near the oil fill is the same as my "mint" 82 1100glz but about 1,213 units earlier. (if the last part of the serial number is actually a serial number)

So, unless i measure a piston (i am not taking this apart) i don't know my actual displacement.
                Can a 1000 be bored to an 1100? Or, does a 1000 crank fit in the 1100 cases. Or, is the 1000 and 1100 cases the same? Could i have 1100 cases and crank, with 1000 pistons?

The intresting thing .... this, its pronounced "frankinsteen" engine seems to outrun my mint 1100?

Comment

The pistons from a 2 valve 1000 have the same pin location as the 2 valve 1100. Suzuki used shorter rods on the 1100 to make up for the longer stroke.

You may have a GS1000 block and pistons, or you may have a block that is bored to 72mm (1074cc). The 1000cc block can be safely bored to 73.5mm (1100cc) according to Wiseco.

That bolt was added to solve an oil leakage problem on the early model engines.

Comment

If it's running great........enjoy! If the engine ever needs work, you can tear it down and see exactly what was done. Until then - VROOOMMM

Terry

PS Does anyone know if the 1100 2 valve head has a larger combustion chamber than the 1000?

Comment

Working...
                    X