spitting and spuddering won't start now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spitting and spuddering won't start now

:x ok.i had it running and was test riding it ,iwent around the block 1 time and on the way back it started poping and back firing .just before i got back to my house it died on me and would not start at all.so i had to push it back home and man this danm thing is heavy huff and puff.this bike is a gs1100gk 83'.i ran it for about 20 mins before i took it around the block and it seemed to run fine but now it won't start at all. i put clear fuel lines on it so i know it has gas going to the carbs.i think that the floats are stuck
    or some thing like that.any idea's??????

thanks again
    craig

always look t the color of your plugs when any sort of missing occurs and it often can zero things down to one cylinder

Comment

Something fell off or got stuck.

Tear it down. You wont know what the heck is going on till you open it up and find the problem. I had a dirt bike that did the same thing after a half day of riding. I was having bad thoughts of enginge problems until I got it home and tore into it. The damn air filter got sucked in almost past the slide. It sounds like you have the bike in pretty good working order. I bet something came loose or got lodged in something. You just gotta find it. By the way. Never make your own air filter and rig it up..... Good luck. Chris.

Comment

Re: Something fell off or got stuck.

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
        Tear it down. You wont know what the heck is going on till you open it up and find the problem. I had a dirt bike that did the same thing after a half day of riding. I was having bad thoughts of enginge problems until I got it home and tore into it. The damn air filter got sucked in almost past the slide. It sounds like you have the bike in pretty good working order. I bet something came loose or got lodged in something. You just gotta find it. By the way. Never make your own air filter and rig it up..... Good luck. Chris.
        Now you are scaring me with the never thing concerning air filters--Do you mean you actuall constructed an air filter or that you rigged up an air filter from some other piece of equipment and adapted it to your bike???

Comment

Re: Something fell off or got stuck.

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE/SCOTTY
          Now you are scaring me with the never thing concerning air filters--Do you mean you actuall constructed an air filter or that you rigged up an air filter from some other piece of equipment and adapted it to your bike???
          When we were kids, I remember friends of mine "creating" their own air filters out of a piece of cloth wired onto the carb mouth on their Briggs and Scrap Iron, or Tecumseh, or whatever powered mini-bikes and go-carts. Seemed to work on that application. Yes, I know, apples and oranges.... 8)
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Re: spitting and spuddering won't start now

With it running, even if all four floats stuck, it would not make the engine die. 20 minutes running and once around the block would not be long enough to foul the plugs out even if the mixtures were very rich. Sounds to me like wiring with intermittant connections to start with causing the popping and back firing and then vibration after some running causing a total loss of electrical continuity in the ignition wiring. You say you "had it running". I assume then that you did do some work on it to get to that point. What work did you do?

Earl

Originally posted by ronald campbell
            :x ok.i had it running and was test riding it ,iwent around the block 1 time and on the way back it started poping and back firing .just before i got back to my house it died on me and would not start at all.so i had to push it back home and man this danm thing is heavy huff and puff.this bike is a gs1100gk 83'.i ran it for about 20 mins before i took it around the block and it seemed to run fine but now it won't start at all. i put clear fuel lines on it so i know it has gas going to the carbs.i think that the floats are stuck
            or some thing like that.any idea's??????

thanks again
            craig
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

i think it is in the carbs because it trys to start every once in a while but the battery is going dead so i think i will send it to the shop on tueday or some time this weekwww.thegsresources.com/_forum/viewtopic.php?p=20775#20775
              With it running, even if all four floats stuck, it would not make the engine die. 20 minutes running and once around the block would not be long enough to foul the plugs out even if the mixtures were very rich. Sounds to me like wiring with intermittant connections to start with causing the popping and back firing and then vibration after some running causing a total loss of electrical continuity in the ignition wiring. You say you "had it running". I assume then that you did do some work on it to get to that point. What work did you do?

Earl
              [/quote]

Comment

Working...
              X