Transmission "drag" when in gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission "drag" when in gear.

I was out riding my '83 GS1100GL (24k miles), not pushing the bike at all, when I pulled up to a stop sign and discovered that all of a sudden shifting both up and down, particularly down, has become VERY difficult. I don't recall hearing or feeling anything change with the bike before this happened.

When I got it home I realized that while idling in any gear, with the clutch lever pulled in, it was difficult to roll the bike - as if the brakes were lightly being applied. While idling in neutral (clutch engaged or not) it rolls easily. While up on the center stand, it shifts much easier but there is a lot of "slop", harsh racket (mechanical noise), and a "false nuetral" when shifting between 4th and 5th. Also, while up on the center stand idling with the clutch disengaged, the rear tire is hard to turn by hand in either direction in any gear - in nuetral it is loose.

I'm guessing in the end the transmission will have to be torn apart ($$$). I did have to replace the primary drive bevel gear set when I first got the bike at 10k miles. There was a broken tooth so I assume the previous owner may have been hard on it but it has run great the last 14k miles. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

One thing you might want to check is the clutch cable. I had a very similar problem with my GS550. It progressively got woret to the point where the bike would actually start to move a bit with the clutch pulled in. A week later the clutch cable snapped 8O . I replaced the cable, adjusted it acordingly, and it totally cleared up the problem. It was like the cable was starting to stretch out right before the cable went. I don't know if this applys to your problem, but it's a start.

Best of luck- Steve-O

Comment

clutch cable/clutch adjustment.
      no need to overhaul, at least not yet.

Comment

I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with the clutch. It's a newer cable, there is some play in it when released, and the rear tire is not turning with the clutch lever pulled in.

Comment

Not sure if this applies to your problem at all, but this might be good reading and advice all the same.

My tranny in the 81 was getting real rough after 40k miles. I couldn't get into gear without letting out the clutch a little and then it would go "CLUNK" when it finally fell into gear. Mine also pulled a little when in gear and the clutch lever was pulled. I swore the tranny gears were worn and/or the countershaft beraings. But I checked the clutch quickly to make sure that wasn't it. I had recently installed a new cable and clutch pack, so I was also sure the clutch wasn't the problem. So I pulled the whole friggin' motor apart. What I found was an increadibly clean and hardly worn tranny assembly. The bearings were not like new, but certainly not the problem. Upon looking deeper, it turned out that the clutch push rod mounts- the clutch cover itself- had cracked inside ever so slightly. The push rod could flex just a tiny bit, enough to feel like the tranny was worn. Make sure to check your entire clutch system and don't rule it out, becasue the tranny gears in these old bikes are about 30 times more durable than the ones in newer bikes. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Oh, and my 81 was flogged to death, and the tranny is still beautiful after 50k miles.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
          X