Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing

I have a 1983 gs750e and it appears like the bike is missing. If I pull the wire off cyl 2, nothing happens. The coil is the same for cyl 2 and 3, so I thought i would check 3. When pulling off cyl 3's wire, the rpms drop. if I switch the wires on cyl 2 and 3, the problem is reversed. I have switched caps and the problem is still there. Would this indicate I would need to get a coil?

my understanding of the system is that the two wires coming out of the same coil both spark at the same instant. This would lead me to believe that you are in need of a new coil. You could completly trade the two coils to once again see if the problem follows the coil.

Comment

Yeah they do spark at the same time, except one of the cylinders is on ignition and the other is on exhaust. But yes, the leads coming from the coil spark at the same time. I will try flipping coils, then order up a coil, which I am sure wont be cheap.

Comment

before you buy new coils I would try trimming a little bit of the plug wire back to make sure the cap is making good contact with that wire. Also you should be able to do a continuity test, I think don't have my manuel here) between the two plug wires.

Comment

Originally posted by dgeorge
          before you buy new coils I would try trimming a little bit of the plug wire back to make sure the cap is making good contact with that wire. Also you should be able to do a continuity test, I think don't have my manuel here) between the two plug wires.
          I did this, and still ended up with a bad plug cap. You can new NGK caps for ~$5.
          AND trim the wire back a bit.

Comment

I tried new caps, nothing. I tried Cutting back the wire, still nothing. THe one lead is good, but the other isnt sparking. WHen I ohm it out, it shows it is good. The cylinder does fire sometimes, but it is missing real bad. And when I switch the 2 cyl wires the problem follows the wire.

Comment

For some reason it is breaking down under load Replace the coil

Comment

I found a coil from a wrecker that is off a 1981. Anyone know if they are the same as the 83? Thanks

Comment

Ok, you can ignore the last post there, I found one that is off the right year. IS there anything else that this could be? Is it possible for something else to be causing the one cylinder not to fire? Obviously the coil is getting the signal to fire but isnt firing out the one wire.. Any ideas?

Comment

Hate to jump in late, cheap way out and works well.

have you checked the WIRE, The coil may be good and the wire , conductor, broken inside. I replaced wires a few years ago , 83 GS650. You gotta rip em out of coil and rtv in some new wires, (any same size auto wires, check 8-9mm and cut to fit.

test with probe or needle into wire at the coil and check for spark, yes, coil good and wire bad, no spark, bad coil...

Hope it helps,
                    Stimpy

Comment

Skippy, if it does turn out to be a coil. I have one off of my 83 GS1100GK that will work for you. I replaced mine with Dyna coils last year so it is just sitting. You can have it for the cost of shipping, oh and it does not have the caps on the wires. I can send you a picture of it if you want to see it. Just pm me if you need it.

Comment

SO I changed the coil for cyl 2 and 3, and the bike ran mint. I rode it last night for about an hour and it was great. I took it out today, and then the problem came back, but on Cyl 1 and 4. Cyl 1 isnt firing, but cyl 4 is. If I switch the leads from 1 and 4, then 4 stops working and 1 runs. I changed caps, ohmed them out and everything, and it didnt change anything. WHen I hook up the timing light while it is running, it shows spark on cyl 4 (I switched the wires back) but shows nothing when I hook it up to cyl 1. Does this show that this coil is gone? Thanks,

Comment

1 and 4 is an ignition pair and 2 and 3 are an ignition pair. The left coil must be connected to spark plug wire on the 1 and 4 cylinder. The right coil is connected to the spark plugs on the 2 and 3 cylinder.

Earl
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

missing

The coil for 2 3 was the same age and production run as for 1 4 so it is quite concievable that they would fail at about the same age. How is the voltage on the bike. Has the reg gone or going inflicting extra high voltage on the components? Probably not as there would be other symptoms but have a look with a multimeter anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X