1979 GS850G Clutch just isnt right????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850G Clutch just isnt right????

I recently posted a message regarding proper adjustment of my new clutch cable on my 79 GS850G. I just cant seem to get it right. On the first ride the clutch was sliping real bad when I would give it about half throttle at cruezing speed. I got to my destination and losened it up just a little bit down on the case adjustment and now it wants to jump when in gear and I cant take it out of gear at all when the motor is runing. Its idling at about 1500 like the book says. The carbs need to be synced but this was all the same before my old cable snapped witch worked great. Any suggestionjs?

Well, it sounds like you just need to move the adjustment to somewhere in the middle. If the clutch was operating properly before the cable snapped the odds are pretty good the problem is with the cable and not the clutch.

When properly adjusted there should be a short but noticeable amount of play between the time you squeeze and when you feel the resistance of the clutch pull. The exact amount of play is subject to preference. I like more play than most do, Just so long as you can fully disengage the engine and can idle in gear with the clutch pulled. You should at least be able to insert a toothpick in the clutch lever hinge opening without engaging the clutch.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

This is just to weird as there is no reason why it should not work. I wish some of you "bike smart" guys lived nearby so you could see how weird it is. I got the clutch working fairly well but it still takes quite a bit of ankle strenth to get it in nutral while at a stop. Here is a new problem. It darn near takes 2 hands to pull the clutch lever in. Its so hard I am scared to stray to far from home in fears of snapping my new cable.

Comment

The most likely cause of the new, and very hard, lever pressure would be altering the original routing of the cable

It appears you have a crimp or kink in it. This will cause the inner cable to bind, making it hard to pull, and also slow to release.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER. After my post I went out to tincker with and put some polish on the bike. I went through my book and tryed once agan to adjust the cable and everything acordingly and found a kink while doing so. Right at the end of the cable on the clutch side there is a chrome piece that kinda fits inside the adjusment nut. Well as fait would have it that chrome piece was pulled out and gave the cable about a 50-60 degree angle. I poped it back in and readjusted but 330am was to early to fire the bike up and test it so in ohhh 4 hours or so I plan on taking it out and hoping everything is good now. Thanks for the great help I do much apreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
            The most likely cause of the new, and very hard, lever pressure would be altering the original routing of the cable

It appears you have a crimp or kink in it. This will cause the inner cable to bind, making it hard to pull, and also slow to release.
            I'd second Ron's bet, if you can't get it right, Carmichael's not too far from you. When installing the cable, think nice easy loop, don't tie-wrap it to anything either

Comment

After putting Dyna coils on my bike, space for wiring and cables was tighter under the tank. The clutch cable was getting trapped when I turned the handlebars, which caused it to bind.

I ran the clutch cable through a loose-fitting piece of the plastic corrugated stuff you use to cover wire looms. That allows it to "float" and move back and forth just enough.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X