Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace Seals on Rebuild?

Hi,

I am (hopefully) on the home stretch of a rebuild of my 79' GS850. It has been slow due to time constraints as well as the need to purchase things as I have money. I think I have most everything I need, but I am wondering about the oil seals on the end of the crankshaft and that separate the transmission from the secondary gear assembly. The only reason I split the cases was to replace the cam chain and the seals look ok, but do I need to replace them anyway since I have split the cases? or can I just spread a thin coat of the gasket/sealant for the crank case halves on them? Also, if I do need to replace them how hard is the process, do I need any special tools etc.? I am replacing all other gaskets/o-rings etc. but those are all cheaper/easier to replace. I have heard the "you can do it two ways, all the way or cheap as possible, but not in between" However, for me sometimes in between can be ok.

Thanks,

Luke

Personally I would replace the seals! Small cost compared to having to take it apart again

Comment

ditto.

do it now while its apart

Comment

that's what I figured you guys would say. I reached my quota for this month, so I'll have to wait until mid april to put the next order in for the seals. Any tips on the process? Can I replace all these seals myself?

Thanks,

Luke

Comment

Originally posted by lukehan
          that's what I figured you guys would say. I reached my quota for this month, so I'll have to wait until mid april to put the next order in for the seals. Any tips on the process? Can I replace all these seals myself?

Thanks,

Luke
          Good move. You can replace them yourself, easy. You actually put them on the shaft, then place the shaft in the case, put sealent on the case halves, then put the two halves together.

Hap

Comment

do I need to put sealant on the part of the case that will contact the seal, or is that what the seal is there for?

Comment

Originally posted by lukehan
              do I need to put sealant on the part of the case that will contact the seal, or is that what the seal is there for?
              I put it around the seals also...cheap insurance.

Hap

Comment

thanks

Sounds good, hopefully this will all happen before the riding season is completely gone. I do have my 74 cb750K, but I can't wait to get back on the GS. One other question while I have your attention. When I am putting all the gears, etc. back together, how do I make sure that everything is in there correctly. If everything fits and I can turn everything smoothly is it good to go or is it possible to assemble it so that it is 1/2 in one gear and 1/2 in the other (if that even makes sense). I am not planning on taking apart the gear assemblies beyond replacing the oil seals. Thanks for your help.

Luke

Comment

If you have any problem I can send you the factory diagrams of the trans

Comment

If you are careful and do not disassemble the transmission you should have no problem. The hardest part is lining up the shift dogs as you lower the case halves together. It's good to have a friend with a flashlight to watch as the cases come together...you'll sleep better at night knowing the dogs aligned correctly.

Hap

Comment

Sounds good, I have both the clymers and the factory manual, so hopefully between those two, the forum and a friend it will all come together. Thanks again for all your help.

Luke

Comment

Working...
                      X