O.K. got katana forks/?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O.K. got katana forks/?

ok now i've gotten katana forks, do i need to do anything special?
    they seem to go right into the frame with no problem.
    should everything be ok?

sorry i've got a 84 gs750es and not sure about katana forks.

I just put a 1993 Katana 750 front end on my '83 GS750ED. Problems encountered:

I had to lose the steering lock- it would not clear the key cylinder on the Kat triples.

The instrument cluster needs new brackets- the stock triples had the attachment point for the cluster machined into it.

If you are using the ES bodywork- it is easiest to use the Katana bars. I did not like them though and had to order riser clip-ons to clear the tank and ES bodywork I am using. The katana forks are too short to extend above the top triple to mount bars. My bars now mount below the top triple.

I am in motor limbo and have not completed the entire package but am looking forward to the improvement of modern 17in rubber and brakes. BTW, I am using a 4.5in late model Katana 750 rear- it will bolt up without any major issues.

Good Luck, Ed.
    1983 GS750ED

Comment

you said you used es body work thats what i have so should be ok there.
      the handle bars sat to low for you from katana?was that what you didn't like?
      oh ya did you use katana brake calipers? or oringal?

Comment

I used the entire Katana front end- forks, wheel, brakes, rotors ect.

The Katana bars were too high. I have had clip-ons on the bike since the mid 1980's. The problem lies with how short the Katana forks are. You cannot extend them above the top triple without losing excessive ground clearance. This only leaves the option to mount clip-ons below the top triple. Here is where you will need riser bars- they must extend up high enough to clear the faring and tank. I went with LSL bars, they are very high quality but expensive. They ended up being slightly lower than the Datana bars I had on the stock front end.

The swap will make a definite approvement as you gain 41mm tubes (or better) with floating dual piston brakes and a 17in front. I am going to run radials-that is why I am going with the 4.5in rear. Follow the link on my previous post as I have about a dozen photos showing my progress so far.

Good Luck, Ed
        1983 GS750ED

Comment

you are doing exactly the same thing as me hahaha, ok awesome
          the top triple clamp is that origanl, or katana's ?
          the origianl one is to small could machine but getting a katana one would probalby be better hmmmm.
          i can't wait to try it out next summer [img][/img]

Comment

Both triples are from the Katana. If I could have machined the stock top triple I could have used the Datona bars and used the stock cluster attachment points. I did not think that there would be enough material left after machining the openings from 37mm to 41mm. The few problems that were a result of using the Katana top triple were easily fixed.

I did use the Katana bar assembly though. I used the center section, after machining off the bars and their attachement points, as a trim piece to cover the 4 large holes in the top triple where the entire bar assembly mounted. The 4 bolts that pass through the holes will also seve as the bracket attachment point (below the top triple) for the instrument cluster brackets. They are rubber mounted and should work great. I will post a photo when I get it together.

Ride On, Ed.
            1983 GS750ED

Comment

Working...
            X