Pingel for 1980 GS850L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pingel for 1980 GS850L

I just ordered a new Pingel Petcock for my bike. 1902C(50mm) adaptor, and 6211 Petcock, Single, W/Reserve. I recall somebody posting that some mods needed to be done, but I couldn't find the post. The question I have is, what are the needed mods, and/or where can I find the post that described them. Any help would be certainly appreciated.

The hole in the tank needs to be enlarged with a file. the filter tube on the pingle petcock needs to be cut down 3/4" don't remenber, necessary for the reserve to work. unless you want to go on reserve with 2 gallons in the tank.

Comment

Search

If you do a search for "pingel project completed", you'll find the whole process described. The main reason I needed to shorten the screen and standpipe was because, otherwise, it wouldn't fit in the tank. By the way, I didn't need to file the hole in my tank..it went in just fine.

Your tank is probably shaped a little different but, as Lynn says, the length of the standpipe will directly determine your reserve miles. With mine, when I go on reserve, I've got about 30 miles left..which I consider to be perfect.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks to all who replied to my Pingel question. Unfortunately, the parts were out of stock, and I have to wait a few weeks. For now, I just put a fuel stop valve inbetween the petcock and the carbs. Seems to work, but kind of a hassle to keep remembering to shut it off. At least I'm riding once again though One of these days, I'll be able to park it in the garage again without worrying about lighting a match.

Comment

I put a Pingle on my 81 a few years back. Direct bolt on with the right adapter plate. I left my fuel tube like it came, I go on reserve at about half a tank! 8O
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

yeah

Yeah, Jethro, I don't know why they put such a tall standpipe on those things. The only way it would provide a useful reserve would be if your gas tank was shaped like a stove pipe. :roll:
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Depending on which pingle you ordered THEY need to be maunally turned off

Comment

Pingle $$

What is teh going rate for a Pingle like $75 or more?

Comment

Working...
                X