Card jetting questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Card jetting questions

I'm rebuilding the carbs on my bike. The bike came with a vance and hines(sp?) 4 into 1 pipe. I've been told that i will need to rejet the carb. Right now it has 115 jets in it which is stock i believe. How hard is it to rejet a carb. Where can i get a jet kit? Also, i was thinking of getting some pod air filters, and i assume that the carbs will need to be rejetted with them also. The bike is a 81 gs1000l.
    thanks for the help in advance,
    tom

also, if i just ran the stock box with a k&n and the pipe, and didn't change the jets, what would happen?
    thanks
    tom

Comment

Re: Card jetting questions

Originally posted by tomst9
      I'm rebuilding the carbs on my bike. The bike came with a vance and hines(sp?) 4 into 1 pipe. I've been told that i will need to rejet the carb. Right now it has 115 jets in it which is stock i believe. How hard is it to rejet a carb. Where can i get a jet kit? Also, i was thinking of getting some pod air filters, and i assume that the carbs will need to be rejetted with them also. The bike is a 81 gs1000l.
      tom
      Jetting shouldnt be that hard for you...if you look at the carb cleanup series..it has awesome pictures that could help you figure out what you need to change. I believe you just have to change your main jets. If you look at the carb clean up pics you will see clearly labeled components.

As for running lean with the 4 to 1 and air pods...that seems to happen to alot of people. If your getting better flow through your engine you are going to create a lean condition. So rejetting is needed to make the air fuel mixture correct.

Im sure someone will be able to tell you were to get jets...i would say one place to look is www.denniskirk.com

and with running a stock air box you still might get a lean condition....check your plugs and see if they are white.

Comment

Any carb parts www.motorcyclecarbs.com

Comment

how many sizes do you guys think i should go up?
          thanks
          tom

Comment

If you are going to install pods DO YOURSELF a favor get the K&N pods and a K&N jet kit

Comment

Re: Card jetting questions

For a vance and hines 4 into 1 and stock airbox with filter and a lid on the box, I would go to a #120 main. You may need to raise the needles, but I would run it with only changing the jets first and see what the plugs looked like. For just getting a set of jets, I would go to my local bike shop. Most bike shops carry an assortment of mikuni jets. My local shop only charges $1 each for them.

Earl

Originally posted by tomst9
              tom
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If you don't have a dynajet stage 1 kit I would consider getting it. The jet needle is adjustable and its profile is very different from stock. Considering time spent and the potential for engine damage I think that the jet kits are worth the money.

Your plugs will tell you whether you need to re-jet. My guess is that if the jetting is stock then the answer will be yes. Running lean is bad for the engine.

Comment

Working...
                X