Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid-range HP loss

Hi all,
    I have an 82' GS1100E (With an 84 engine) I seem to have lost a bunch of Horsepower in the mid-range RPM's (3k to 6.5k). I recently tuned the carbs trying to fix the problem, and while it did improve the sound of the Idle it did not solve the problem. There is also a LOT of vibration now that was not there before. I am looking for tips from you (the GS fans!) on what to look at, or what you think it might be, Basiclly places to start.

Any thoughts will be helpful.

Thank you all..
    -Peter

if the carbs are not in sync that could cause vibration may want to re check it See what it looks like at 3K rpm

Comment

Carbs not in synch lead to vibes and running like a dog in the midrange. Could be some blocked passgaes/jets as well

Comment

Carb problems for sure.

When you set them up, try doing it at VERY low RPMs. Pay particular attention to #3. If it is pulling too much, shut down all other cylinders, then re-adjust until it works well.

NOTE you will have to make final adjustments at carb #4, then carb #3.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I thank you all for the tips.. I am wondering if there is a mechanical option? could it be the tranny? or rings? Or even old unchanged oil? (it's gone more miles than it should have...)

Lemme know,
          -Peter

Comment

Not really. A mechanical problem would usually show up through the rev range...slipping clutch aside wich may only appear under load.

Especially with the CV carbs, make sure they are all working ok (no diaphram leaks etc) and synched. I may take a while to get the synch right (you do one, it chnages the others relationship etc etc) but it is well worth it. I think it to about 20 mins last time I did my slide carbs untill I was happy with the result. Once done, it last for years unless you fiddle with the carbs.

I redid my crbs years ago with synching them..it ran like a dog in the midrange. Synched it...front wheel went light all the time! It makes that much difference!!!

Comment

Hmmmm slipping Clutch? Now I think we're on to something, the clutch has been rattling for a looong time and maybe it's starting to go out..

Ok whats the best way to verify a bad clutch?

Comment

Working...
              X