Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Build-up

Hi all,

just a question for my brother (85 Maxim 750).

Is it normal to see 1mm+ of the thick , black (and some white stuff too) carbon buildup inside the engine?

bike has 70000km on it. any solutions to this problem? and what are the problems with these kind of symptoms?

poot

Inside the engine where? At the exhaust manifold? That is normal, and 1mm doesn't suprise me.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I second that, that is pretty normal, sounds like it has been running a veriety of condition, the lighter color buildup is normal/lean mixure, the black is rich mixture, I like to run a little black, perfect is cardboard brown. You will get much more buildup while running rich, running lean is burning everything, so it will burn very clean, yet hot.-darren

Comment

How would you go about clean this shtuff off??

my brother keeps telling me how disgusting it is.

Comment

Well you can do what I did, I just took a mini wire wheel on a dremel and cleaned her up, or I'm not sure how well they work but supposedly SeaFoam works for carbon build up.-darren

Comment

How would you go about clean this shtuff off??
            I wouldn't bother unless the head is off already. In that case, it's easy to deal with with a wire brush and some kerosene.
            Currently bikeless
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Are you sure that he is referring to the combustion area of the engine? If he is refering to the area of the crankcase and under the valve cover, that is a different matter. That would indicate dirty oil or use of non detergent oil(highly unlikely) over an extended time period. I also bet that heavy clutch abuse could contribute to lots of gunk in the oil but again good maintanance would take care of this by way of the filter and detergents.

Comment

it would be in the combustion chamber. Maybe its time for him to rebuild

Comment

it would be in the combustion chamber. Maybe its time for him to rebuild
                  I doubt it. The only downside to the carbon buildup is that it retains heat, but I'd be willing to bet that the fins on the outside of the block are dirty too. Your engine can run 10 degrees cooler if you make sure every nook and cranny is dirt, grease and oil free.
                  Currently bikeless

Comment

Also carbon buildup will give you more bottom end torque... lol, aka carbon build up in the combustion chamber will add your compression ratio = more bottom end power.-darren 8)

Comment

Working...
                    X