Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping saddles? 1982 GS450L

Hi all,
    New to the group and new to motorcycling. 39-1/2 years old (coincidence?) and I just got my first bike: an 82 gs450L. Strong runner, ez to handle, but looks a bit rough (don't care about that!).

But, I am tall, about 6'1" and the bike is a tad small. It's OK, but I think it would be much more comfortable for me if the seat didn't step down so low in the drivers position. I was wondering if I could swap my saddle with one from a GS 450T, E, etc. and get no step and a higher overall height. The parts look similar on BikeBandit for the GS450TZ, but they don't give dimensions. If I got a used one it wouldn't likely be too expensive.

Barring that, are there "risers" I could put on the driver's seat to give my legs some more breathing room?

Perhaps re-upolster a custom one myself?

It may be fairly obvious, but I am not spending a lot on this; only paid $650 for the bike and would like to save up for a new V-Strom in a year or so. Now that's a nice tall bike.

Thanks!

Derrick

The "L" & "E" model seats are not interchangable, the frame & mounting is different. Best bet would be local upolistry shop

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      The "L" & "E" model seats are not interchangable, the frame & mounting is different. Best bet would be local upolistry shop
      Well, not the answer I wanted to hear, but then the truth isn't always what we want to hear, is it? Thanks for the quick, informative reply. I love this group!

I may try to get a shredded old seat and re-do it. I wouldn't want to ruin the one I have which is in very good shape.

Comment

You might try a seat pad to attach on top

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          You might try a seat pad to attach on top
          Thanks, a simple and inexpensive fix. I'll try that first.

Derrick

Comment

Working...
          X