Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coils or ignitor

ok. bike sat all winter.
    went to start and have fire on #1 plug, but no fire on 2,3 or 4.
    is this coils or ignitor?

also, the bike is 81gs550L.

and... another thing--
    will buying a dyna s eliminate my need for an ignitor? im no really sure by the product description.
    thanks

Comment

bump

someone please help.

Comment

I don't have any personal experience with ignitor or coil failure, but I believe if the coils were to go bad, both cylinders connected to that coil would stop working, so it doesn't sound like a coil issue, since you've still got one spark.

I'm not sure if suzuki had switched from their mechanical advance/points system by 1981 or not, but either way, take off the small round cover on the right side and see if there's something to clean up or adjust (points) under there.

The dyna S ignition system will eliminate the black ignitor box, real handy if you ask me.

Sorry we took so long to respond, hopefully some of the more knowledgable guys will see this bump and help point you in the right direction better than I can.

Comment

The ignitor fires both 1 and 4 and 2 and 3 at the same time. I doubt that its the ignitor.

Replace the plugs and see if it helps. You could also switch 1 and 4 plug wires or even coils and see if you can isolate the problem.

Comment

spark

with only one plug firing I would whip out the omh meter and check the plug end caps, should be around 5K

Comment

thanks

thanks guys.
              youve put me one step closer to back on the road.
              i really appreciate it.

Comment

do you have a steady spark on 1 or is it a spark and you stop checking?could answer some questions on the direction to head.IT could be any or all of the above depending

Comment

pull the tank and crank it in a dark place.
                  look for arcing from wires or the coil bodies to ground.
                  these bikes are old enough to have this sort of failure.
                  the coils swap method will verify igniter operation.
                  if you dont find a bad wire but still only have spark on one lead of a coil it it bad.
                  this is a waste spark system and fires both plugs together.

Comment

Working...
                  X