That damn starter clutch again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That damn starter clutch again.

I just got the GS1100L(1980) to start up last night after sitting for 14 years. The starter clutch had gone on it and thats why it was parked. And today after running great all day, I hit the starter button and I can hear the starter motor just spin and not turn the engine over. When I had the stator cover off to fix it last, the taper fit between the rotor and the crankshaft had worn a bit. So I just pulled it off and put it back on and tightened the nut down good and it worked. So apparently it's worked itself loose again. How can I fix this so it stops happening?

Take the rotor off, and put the crank end on ice. Then take the rotor and heat it up, I use an old frying pan, and low heat. Give it some time for the heat to saturate the rotor. Then put on some leather gloves pickup the rotor, take the ice off the crank (and dry it off if need be) and slide the rotor on. Tighten up the nut quickly to the proper torque specs. When the temp evens out between the 2 peices it will make a tighter bond then if you skipped the heat.

Comment

When I bought my gs 1100e I got it cheap because the starter motor just spun without engaging. It turned out to be the three bolts connecting the stator to the sprage clutch had sheered off. Check for that. Another idea is to use locktight. The heating idea is the best in my estimation. That is the method whereby ring gears are or were attached to flywheels. I cant remember if there is a keyway or not, is there? Is the key missing if there is indeed one at all?

Don

Comment

Last

There isin't a keyway on the shaft it's just a tapered fit into the rotor. I'll try the ehat thing but is there a way to tell if the shaft might be too warn for the heat method to work? The bolts aren't sheared it's just the rotor spinning on the shaft.

Comment

I'm sure there is a spec for the crank end, but I don't know what it is. If you really want to know, give falicon a ring, they probably know. Personally I would just try the heat, and keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

Make sure the taper surfaces on the taper and rotor are smooth.
            File any burrs and use lapping compound to get a nice surface.
            Do NOT use Loctite on the taper, trust me, I've tried it!!
            Some more info and pictures on my site...

Comment

Working...
            X