Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crashed bike.

Hi Friends

A few days before christmas a friend of mine crashed his GS 850 against a car at 40 KM/H.
    Before having crashed, I could drive his bike around 50 meters without my hands on the handlebars, but now it?s impossible, it has a bad tendence to go to the right side.
    Fork tubes and handlebar both , were replaced, front wheel is in good shape.
    Does anyone have any experience with a crashed bike and this kind of symptom?
    Any advise or idea will be helpfull.

Thanks in advance.

Eliseo.

When the handlebars are set for straight is the front wheel pointing straight? Do you have an equal amount of fork oil in each tube?

Comment

Thanks for your interest in help me.

Originally posted by Swanny
      When the handlebars are set for straight is the front wheel pointing straight?
      Yes it?s.

Originally posted by Swanny
      Do you have an equal amount of fork oil in each tube?
      Yes I have.

Comment

Did you put it on a frame rack and see if it is straight? It could have a small bend to it the favors the right side.

Also, did you pull about the steering head bearings to see if they survived or were damaged. The bearings probably loosened up a bit and could just be too sloppy.

Forks will twist in the triples, sometimes you can loosen the top clamp nut, hold the wheel between your legs and twist them straight (like a bicycle), we used to do this with the dirt bikes occasionally and it seemed to help.

Rear tire twisted in the swingarm? That will make a nice turn for you.

Kenny

Comment

also, check the front wheel bearings, and the steering head bearings. a strong impact could blow them.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyJ
            Did you put it on a frame rack and see if it is straight?
            No, I didn?t
            I will do it , but it is safe, try to correct an small bend? too much work?
            expensive? it has a good chance of geting the frame stright?

Also, did you pull about the steering head bearings to see if they survived or were damaged. The bearings probably loosened up a bit and could just be too sloppy.
            Head bearings are good,and wheel bearings were replaced.

Forks will twist in the triples, sometimes you can loosen the top clamp nut, hold the wheel between your legs and twist them straight (like a bicycle), we used to do this with the dirt bikes occasionally and it seemed to help.?
            This is on #1 on my thing to do list.

Rear tire twisted in the swingarm? That will make a nice turn for you.
            Excuse me Kenny but I did not understand this question, could you explain me this in another way?

Thanks.

Eliseo.

Comment

the rear wheel can ben tilted slightly sideways in an accident from the impact, especially your friend had the rear brake on, cause that'll help hold it in position on the right side, while giving the left a chance to slide forward a little.

Under each adjuster (usually used for chain tension adjustments) there is a little scale you can use to see if both sides are lined up equally.

If you do need to make an adjustment, just loosen the rear axel bolt, even out the rear wheel, and be sure to tighten the rear axel again, all while keeping an eye on the chain tension.

I don't know what bikes are shafties, if yours is one, feel free to shoot me now.

Comment

Originally posted by luc8421
                I don't know what bikes are shafties, if yours is one, feel free to shoot me now.
                Yes?it is a shaftie,I think that it?s more rigid than chain drive.

Comment

Reaching.......but did the motor move on it's mounts?
                  And is the front tired mounted in the correct direction?
                  Check the arrow on the sidewall, is it going the right way?
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                  X