Fork lowers interchangability 78 - 81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork lowers interchangability 78 - 81

Will the front fork bottom tubes from an 80-81 GS1000G model fit on the forks of my 78 GS1000C?

I am thinking about bidding on a pair if they do so I can put dual disks on the front. I think I am going to need more brakes 8O

The parts numbers don't jive so I am not sure.

I am not sure if I am calling them the right thing or not and want to make sure you guys know what I am talking about. I am referring to this part:

Are the 80-81 models interchangable with mine?

I don't think they are an exact fit Mark. I've been looking to do the same conversion and have been gradually doing a bit of research and gathering some parts. The G models as far as I can tell use a very similiar fork. I do know they use a different caliper but I don't know whether the older caliper with the round brake pads will fit on the G fork. If you had the complete fork assembly and brake calipers you could probably use it. Maybe somebody else knows this stuff for sure. They really do look similiar but you had better be sure. The slotted rotors from those years are interchangeable. The part number for the fork tube is also different but that could be just a slight difference in length. The damper rods between the years are the same part number, that's the part the lower leg actually bolts to. So they may work. The difference in number for the lower leg may be due to slightly different caliper or fender mounting. If I hear anything else I'll let you know, but I think I have located the proper 1000E right lower leg and caliper so it should be a no brainer for me. Good luck and sorry I couldn't give you any more accurate info.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

The tubes are both 37mm so they will fit in your trees. But as far as the rest of the parts fitting - Im not sure.

Comment

Yeah that's what I want to do. I want to use my existing forks and triple clamps if I can and just put the new lowers on. I already have the calipers so if these lowers would work then all I would still need is the second disk.

Comment

Do any of you guys know the answer to this? I have one day left to bid and just don't want to spend 100 dollars on a chance. Anyone with fork experience know if they are the same parts or not? They look identicle but you know how that is.

Comment

I am going to just let them go. I couldn't get any answers out of the dealer because the parts guy that would know the answer doesn't come back into work until Thursday :roll:

I can't find anything on the internet that tells me and even Bike Bandit is not allowed to tell you unless your ordering from them of course. But the part is discontinued so that was another waisted call.

I just can't take the chance at this time with the rides coming up so close.

Thanks anyway, sorry if I was a pain. I guess I have gone over my question quotta for the month

Comment

Somewhere in my garage I have a set of forklegs from a G model. They are pretty grungy, but the internals should be all there as well as upper and lower tubes. They are yours for the price of shipping if you want them.

I really need to clean my garage out, so if Hoomie doesn't take these they are available to anyone else who wants 'em....

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                Somewhere in my garage I have a set of forklegs from a G model. They are pretty grungy, but the internals should be all there as well as upper and lower tubes. They are yours for the price of shipping if you want them.

I really need to clean my garage out, so if Hoomie doesn't take these they are available to anyone else who wants 'em....
                Are they axel under like the one I pictured Tim or are they leading axel? I have a set of dual caliper leading axel fork bodies that of course I am not putting on a sport bike

Thx for the reply man. If they are like the one pictured above I want them. Let me know.

Comment

Honestly I can't remember. I've had them for a few years and they didn't work for me at the time so I put them in a box and forgot about them....

I think they are axel under but I can't be sure until I look at them tonight. I get home around 11 pm tonight so I'll post up tomorrow morning about what they are, -K.....

Comment

Thanks buddy, you da man

Comment

Honestly I can't remember. I've had them for a few years and they didn't work for me at the time so I put them in a box and forgot about them....

I think they are axel under but I can't be sure until I look at them tonight. I get home around 11 pm tonight so I'll post up tomorrow morning about what they are, -K.....
                      Any word on these Tim?

Comment

Gosh man, I forgot all about it the other night....

This is the busiest week of the year at Texas A&M. It's parents weekend and I've been working 7am till 10-11 pm every day since monday. It's 7:36 right now and I am sitting in a dark theatre ready to start another day of conferences....

I promise that I will get your info for you soon man. I just have to remember not to crash on the sofa again when I get home.

Sorry about this dude!

Comment

Gosh man, I forgot all about it the other night....

This is the busiest week of the year at Texas A&M. It's parents weekend and I've been working 7am till 10-11 pm every day since monday. It's 7:36 right now and I am sitting in a dark theatre ready to start another day of conferences....

I promise that I will get your info for you soon man. I just have to remember not to crash on the sofa again when I get home.

Sorry about this dude!
                          LOL! No problem at all. I know how life is, you don't have to tell me believe me on that

I have a set I am watching on ebay that go off in two days. They are rather pricey and I really don't want to sink that kind of money into this mod if I don't have to. That's the only reason I keep asking or I wouldn't be being a pain

Sorry to prod Tim, I really appreciate your offer.

Comment

Did you get a chance to take a peek at those Tim?
                            I have one day left on this auction and it is being bid
                            on so now more than ever I don't want them if I don't
                            have too

Thx man

Comment

Sorry Hoomie, these are leading axle forks... I bought them for the upper tubes and didn't really recall what the lowers were.

Sorry bud.

If anyone wants them the offer still stands, I'll give'em away for the cost of shipping....

I think they were from a 1000 G model.

Comment

Working...
                              X