Chains - How do you clean it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chains - How do you clean it.

THis is probably as good as the Oil Conversations.

I've read many a different opinions on cleaning the chain.

I've been using Maxima Chain wax with great results.

However, I would like to give the chain a good cleaning.

With 3 youngsters in the house, I really don't want to use or keep kerosene around.
    I've read where some use WD-40, some say it eats at the O-RIngs. I don't think my chain is an O-Ring. At least I don't see any, not sure if they are visible or not?

Anyway, any tips on cleaning?

Thanks.

If it's not an o-ring chain, you can clean it with WD40 sprayed on, or remove the chain and hose it off.

If it's an o-ring chain, I would spray some on a rag and wipe the chain with a rag.

8)

~Adam

Comment

If it's an o-ring chain, you won't see them from the out side. They are on the inside of the links. I use WD40 on my o-ring chain, but I don't spray on the chain at all. I put a small amount on a rag and clean the outside plates by hand. I don't bother with cleaning the pins at all.

I have been using 80wt gear oil and a heat gun for years. Do it once about every rear tire and I'm all set.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

With 3 youngsters in the house, I really don't want to use or keep kerosene around.
        I've read where some use WD-40, some say it eats at the O-RIngs.
        Well, WD-40 is mostly kerosene, so it is a good substitute for the pure stuff. It will not eat O-rings. I have been using WD exclusively as my chain cleaner and lube on my ZX-9 for the last two seasons. It has gone over 17,000km without so much as a chain adjustment so far. The bike has 29,000km on it total and the chain is just starting to show some stretching. I expect that it will need replacing after this season. No complaints here on that kind of mileage...

Best part about lubing with WD - No chain lube all over the bike!

Mark

Comment

the simplest and easyest way to clean a chain is to trade it for a shaft!!!
          SHAFTIES RULE!!!!!

bwuah ha ha!!! :twisted:

Comment

Just finshed some motorcycle repair classes at a local college and the instructor, a mechanic with 30 years experience, had the following advice:

For O-ring chains (which is what most are now), clean with WD40, then wipe off, then use a chain wax.

He specifically stated NOT to oil these chains. The oil can't get to the sealed O-rings. The oil only attracts dirt which causes the chain to wear.

Comment

Dave, Adam's advice and the others is pretty much right on.

But I have to be different so here goes.

I use a non abrasive non harsh hand cleaner on mine and then
              hose it off good. If you can do like I do our washer is in the garage
              so I simply hook up my hose to the hot water feed and rinse with that
              as it does a way better job but cold will work too. The trick it to get it clean.

Then wipe it dry with a towel and then I like to hit it with the air compressor
              to get it really dry.

Then the chain wax. Keeps it looking like brand spanking new!

Just watch because some hand cleaners may not be safe on rubber or paints although I have never found any that were not yet.

See my wheel and sprocket thread in the tips section. It applies to o-ring and non o-ring chains as well.

Rock on!

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                SHAFTIES RULE!!!!!

I wrote to Gnadt and he says when he is finally promoted to assistant moderator, the first thing he will do is start a pain in the ass forum.

See ya there leon

Comment

SHAFTIES RULE!!!!!
                  Wait a minute, i thought this thread was about cleaning chains, not about how to make your bike go slower?
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                    SHAFTIES RULE!!!!!
                    Wait a minute, i thought this thread was about cleaning chains, not about how to make your bike go slower?
                    Or need to fix even harder to repair parts

Comment

SHAFTIES RULE!!!!!

Comment

SHAFTIES RULE!!!!!

I figured you'd get me back Leon. :P :twisted: 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X