Wont run right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wont run right

After replacing the petcock and cleaning the float chambers on my bikes carbs and removing the float valve assembly and cleaning that as well the bike wont run right its struggling to tick over and pops from the exhaust and is back firing (thats what it sounds like) thru the airbox.
    I havent removed anything other than what ive listed so carnt have disturbed any other bits in the carbs .
    Anyone have any ideas whats the problem this is the first time ive attemted any work with carbs so im worried I might have messed up .
    Trev

Ther are many, many, amny small passages in the carbs that have to be clean for the carbs to run right. I'd do a 100% teardown of the carbs and dip them for a few hours. rebuild with new o-rings and make sure everything is perfect. Also, don't trust your float heights without confirming with a clear tube attached to the float bowl drain. I bench set mine like the book said the float heights were too low. Make sure you don't have any air leaks between the carbs and the head- those boots can look fine, but you should pull them off and squeeze them. That's how I discoverd mine were cracked on the inside mating surface.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hey Jethro - I 've been meaning to ask you - how does that tube thingy work? When I have the drain plugs off of my carbs and I look through the hole all I can see is the main jet which is maybe 0.5-1cm past the opening. How does that tube fit in through there?

Thanks,

Jeff

Originally posted by Jethro
      Ther are many, many, amny small passages in the carbs that have to be clean for the carbs to run right. I'd do a 100% teardown of the carbs and dip them for a few hours. rebuild with new o-rings and make sure everything is perfect. Also, don't trust your float heights without confirming with a clear tube attached to the float bowl drain. I bench set mine like the book said the float heights were too low. Make sure you don't have any air leaks between the carbs and the head- those boots can look fine, but you should pull them off and squeeze them. That's how I discoverd mine were cracked on the inside mating surface.

Comment

Did you put some new spark plugs in when you started? When you change parts in the carbs you're going to need to re-tune things usually, so fresh plugs are going to help you.

Also, it could run bad if you have fouled plug.

~Adam

Comment

I took it all apart again and whacked it back on again and its running alot better this time but still not 100% so im going to get a carb rebuild set and do em proply and stick a new set of plugs in as well.
          Thanks for the advice everyone.
          Trev

Comment

Usually you just need the O rings. If you are going to use a rebuild kit MAKE SURE TO COMPARE THE PARTS & JET SIZES

Comment

Working...
            X