speedo/tach light bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo/tach light bulbs

i tried to change the light bulbs in my instrument cluster today. arrgh. someone posted 'pull gently to remove the light bulbs'. i say, huhhh?
    after removing a dozen tiny screws and nuts, working sideways around the wiring assembly, i FINALLY got the tach dismounted from its brace and tried to gently pull the bulbs free from the back end. the rubber mountings are so soft they broke off in my needlenose pliers. i removed the facing from the tach, cracking the glass, removed more tiny screws and tried to pull the bulbs out from the front, only to break them both, and two wires to one of the bulbs. not being the slowest learner (nor the fastest it seems) i removed the speedometer assembly, which gratefully has screws that permit separating the back and front parts. but i am gunshy about pulling the bulbs out. has to be done though.

long story, short question for next time. is there an easier way? diff tools? more time/patience? should i just sell the bike next time the bulbs blink out? or buy a new cluster? speaking of which, i have an 82 gs1100e with the stock 85mph speedo. where might i locate one that show more speed?
    thanks!

Yeah, I just had a bear of a time with those myself. I ended up pulling at the rubber housings with serious force and ripping most of them. However, I really feel that they are not much worse for wear. I put all new bulbs in and now have a fully lit panel! Rip and replace- it's the only way.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Been there ; done that ; what a pain. The little rubber gromets that hold the bulbs, come out from the back. After riping, and tareing the rubber, to get the light sockets out, install the new bulbs and piece the rubber back together as much as possible. May use silicone to help hold back in place.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
        Been there ; done that ; what a pain. The little rubber gromets that hold the bulbs, come out from the back. After riping, and tareing the rubber, to get the light sockets out, install the new bulbs and piece the rubber back together as much as possible. May use silicone to help hold back in place.
        Thanks I needed that----information

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
          You got the right word, but a bit late.....try a can of silicone spray. Use it lightly on the rubber BEFORE attempting to turn/twist/remove the rubber plugs. Wait a few seconds after spraying. This will help to loosen the grip on the plastic housing, and won't harm the rubber.
          Use a piece of cloth on the plug after spraying as it will be slippery and bare fingers will slip. If the grommet is stubborn, try this a couple of times before resorting to tools.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Why didn't I think of that?! :roll:
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
            X