Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What solvent? Chain lube on taillight lens.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What solvent? Chain lube on taillight lens.

Today, I switched out my 1157 equivalent for a 2357LL that puts out 40cp when braking instead of 32cp. In so doing, I realized that there was a fair bit of old chain lube on the underside of the lens. Strange fellow that I am, I can't bring myself to put it back together without cleaning this oil-based stuff off, but I'm scared to damage the 25-year-old lens with solvent. Kerosene? WD-40? Silicone spray? Ideas?

I always use hot water and dish soap to wash my bikes. It works quite well for grease buildup.

Steve

Comment

I like to start with the least powerful thing that I think will do the job. If it doesn't work, then I escalate.

So, I agree with Steve - start with hot water and soap. If that doesn't do it, maybe go up to something like Simple Green or 409. If that doesn't do it, try a little wax - that can be a good petroleum solvent. If it doesn't take it all off, put a little kerosene on a rag. That will definitely take it off and shouldn't harm the plastic, although I would still follow it with a good soap and water wash and then wax. I use Pledge - it doesn't leave white residue in all the cracks and embossed letters.

Comment

Kerosene on a rag has always worked the best for me; the kero is basically a volatile oil, and any residue soon evaporates.

Mike.

Comment

Mineral spirits is commonly used by plastics compaines for cleaning that type of thing off of plexiglass. It will not harm the plastic tail light lens. then wash the spirits residue off with soapy water. Kerosene would probably be safe also, but I have never tried it.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X