Carb Adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Adjustments

I have an '85 GS550L with the weird dual throat carbs. I just finished up a carb rebuild, which has helped out my weird cold idle behavior; and I also threw on new plugs & caps, which has helped out my weird wet weather behavior with #3 not firing. I trimmed about 3/8" off the plug wires to put the new caps on. I also treated the wires nicely with WD40.

The bike is running fairly well, but it is still hard to get a consistant idle. Of course, the pilot needles aren't very adjusted, and I haven't balanced the carbs. I would like to make these adjustments, but am not sure how to proceed.

Which do I do first, play with the needles adjusting idle mixture, or balance the carbs? (Or, must I iterate between them?)

How do I adjust the idle mixture? How do I know when it is set right?

I understand that you balance by measuring static pressure in the throat at idle speed. I would rather not buy a balancing kit. Since I have the dual throat carbs, I can only adjust the left bank vs. right bank. (as if I only had two carbs) I was thinking of rigging up some clear tube to the pressure ports on each bank. With some water in the bottom of the tube, pressure differences would show as differences in height of the water. Since the carbs are pulling against one another, the risk of sucking the fluid through the engine is minimized. With this setup, one should be able to balance the carbs at speed. Is there any benefit to this?

Are there any other adjustments I need to make? If so, how do I do them, and in what order/combination with the other adjustments.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

I would say you need to get the carbs synced before you start trying to tune them...they're going to help you get the idle stable first, then allow you to tune the mixture.

I'm in Asheville area, about 3 hours from Atlanta, and I recently bought a carb sync tool. I can't ship it, but we could set up something to work on the bike in my garage...

Check my signature for the GSR Rally too in June, since you're close.

~Adam

Comment

Thanks for the offer Adam, hopefully I can work something out locally, but I'll go from there.

I'll also keep that ride in mind. If the bike gets running the way it ought to be, it may be a possibility.

Rob

Comment

Well, the local shop wants $150 to balance the carbs and adjust the idle mixture. Looks like they threw in an additional $30 because it they are the weird two-barrel'ed carbs, even though that means it is one adjustment to balance them; instead of three.

So, right now it looks like i'll be ordering the balancing equipment RSN, but that still leaves me with a few questions.

1) Which comes first; balance the carbs or adjust the idle mixture (or, iterate back and forth)

2) What is the recomended procedure for the guy in his garage to adjust the idle mixture?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Working...
        X