Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire balancing

I'm balancing-challenged :?

I can get tires on and off the wheel without too much trouble but balancing always leaves me confused. Seems simple enough - suspend the wheel on a pair of jackstands, find the heavy spot, add appropriate weight opposite. What could be simpler?

But invariably I end up with a new heavy spot somewhere else. So now do I add weight to the new light spot and repeat, ending with weights all over the wheel? And why would it keep shifting around like that?

I'd take the wheels to my friendly local dealer for balancing but my local dealers aren't so friendly when it comes to jobs like this. So balance I must.

What am I doing wrong?

Debby
    1979 GS1000N
    2019 Kaw Z900RS
    plus a few more

I have 8 or 10 weights so I have every increment of 1/4 oz. between 1.4 oz and 2 1/2 ounces. I mark the light spot on the tire after three or four times of letting it stop with the light spot on top. I mark the average of the spots as the light spot, (usually it it within a fraction of an inch the same) The I rotate the tire so the heavy spot (marked also) is at 9 oclock. I tape the first guess weight on the rim at the 3 oclock position. If the rim rises or falls, I add or decrease the estimate weight. Once the tire no longer rotates whel I let it go, I place it in the opposite direction, heavy side at 3 oclock and weights at 9 oclock. If it doesnt move there either, I spin it and wait to see where it stops. If in three or four spins, it never stops in the same place, I call it good. Its also good when I can rotate the tire to any position, stop it and release it, and it does not move.

On rare occasion, it may be necessary to balance to two axis, 3-9 oclock and then 12-6 oclock. I repeat the 3-9 process for the 12,6 axis. Balance on one axis at a time.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

since i had to put on a new tire, i took it to the dealership, and they balanced it. I didnt have the stuff myself, and wanted it 100 percent right.

Comment

You might want to check this out. I got 'em in my truck and my bike.

They work great!

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw

They work great!
          I used to use PJ1 Balancing Fluid Plus. It worked, but what a friggin' mess when it was time to spoon a new tire on the rim. :x

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            I have 8 or 10 weights so I have every increment of 1/4 oz. between 1.4 oz and 2 1/2 ounces. I mark the light spot on the tire after three or four times of letting it stop with the light spot on top. I mark the average of the spots as the light spot, (usually it it within a fraction of an inch the same) The I rotate the tire so the heavy spot (marked also) is at 9 oclock. I tape the first guess weight on the rim at the 3 oclock position. If the rim rises or falls, I add or decrease the estimate weight. Once the tire no longer rotates whel I let it go, I place it in the opposite direction, heavy side at 3 oclock and weights at 9 oclock. If it doesnt move there either, I spin it and wait to see where it stops. If in three or four spins, it never stops in the same place, I call it good. Its also good when I can rotate the tire to any position, stop it and release it, and it does not move.

On rare occasion, it may be necessary to balance to two axis, 3-9 oclock and then 12-6 oclock. I repeat the 3-9 process for the 12,6 axis. Balance on one axis at a time.

Earl
            Earl,

That sounds like a great system. I've balanced quite a few wheels/tires and have gotten pretty good at getting close to the correct weight but your method will make it a lot easier. Nice work!

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
              Originally posted by mixongw

They work great!
              I used to use PJ1 Balancing Fluid Plus. It worked, but what a friggin' mess when it was time to spoon a new tire on the rim. :x
              Jim,

No mess with the beads.

Gary

Comment

remember to look at the tire closely, good tires will have a colored dot on the sidewall to mark where you need to align the tire to the valve stem, this reduces the amount or eliminates the need for wheel weights.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                  remember to look at the tire closely, good tires will have a colored dot on the sidewall to mark where you need to align the tire to the valve stem, this reduces the amount or eliminates the need for wheel weights.
                  I always wondered what that was for!

Comment

Leon,

I stole this idea from another site but I think it makes good sense. Rather than ASSUME the heavy spot of the wheel is at the valve stem, why not put the wheel on the balance stand and find the true heavy spot? I've done this on probably ten wheels and while the heavy spot is usually very close to the valve stem I've found some that were as much as 45 degrees away. Since the idea is to use as little weight as possible I think it only makes sense to find the true heavy spot and put the mark on the tire (which is the light spot of the tire) at that spot. As a side note, tire manufacturing process are getting so good that the tires don't have much variation in weight and some tire makers no longer put a mark on the tire. I recently put some Avon Azaros on my FJR and there were no marks on the tire.

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Poot
                      since i had to put on a new tire, i took it to the dealership, and they balanced it. I didnt have the stuff myself, and wanted it 100 percent right.
                      Dealerships....100% correct. Surely you jest? :?

As Joe stated, take the time to find the heavy spot on the wheel...it's not always at the valve stem.

Comment

This is important to remember. I mounted a tire with the red dot right at the valve stem and it was perfectly balanced.

Comment

Working...
                        X