Idiot Light - solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiot Light - solved

I went riding today!! First time this season!
    I'm still grinning!

I do have a problem, though. I'm not sure if anyone can help but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I started it up last week but only after a boost. I ran the bike, turned it off then restarted...no problem. I then left the bike on the trickle charger for a couple of days . Today, I had a bit of a time starting it. I to boost it again to start it today. Granted, at least this week it fired up immediately when boosted...unlike last week.

Now the engine idiot light is on and won't go off.

She got an oil change just a week before being put away for winter, so that is not the problem. Could it be something with the charging system? Keep in mind, the bike is only a year old Triumph Sprint ST so the battery is itself is fine.

I'm all ears.

Re: Idiot Light

Tam, what is an engine idiot light? You mean the oil pressure light? I dont know what lights you have on a Triumph. If you mean the oil pressure light, check the electrical clip on the engine sensor. Sometimes they come loose or just get knocked off.

Earl

Originally posted by Elliemae
    I went riding today!! First time this season!
    I'm still grinning!

I do have a problem, though. I'm not sure if anyone can help but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I started it up last week but only after a boost. I ran the bike, turned it off then restarted...no problem. I then left the bike on the trickle charger for a couple of days . Today, I had a bit of a time starting it. I to boost it again to start it today. Granted, at least this week it fired up immediately when boosted...unlike last week.

Now the engine idiot light is on and won't go off.

She got an oil change just a week before being put away for winter, so that is not the problem. Could it be something with the charging system? Keep in mind, the bike is only a year old Triumph Sprint ST so the battery is itself is fine.

I'm all ears.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yes, Earl, it would be the oil pressure light. I apologize, I refer to all of them as idiot lights whether they be my car or bike.

Seeing as I know there is not a problem with the quantity or quality of the oil I will check the sensor...thank you.

Comment

the sprint ST is fuel injected and will have a brain and a engine warning light to indicate a fault like low voltage or a problem with the gummed up injectors from sitting.

doesn't it have a two year warranty?

Comment

In answer to your question, Leon...YES.

I have to take the bike in for a recall for the fuel coupling, anyway.

I posed this same query on the Triumph site (should have thought of that first I suppose but I trust everyone here). The response I received was that it takes 4 cold starts, without boosting, to reset the computer. Seeing as I won't be taking it in for a bit yet, I will give this a try in the meantime.

Thank you.

Comment

Aw Geez! Isnt it a bitch when even your bike is plagued with computer glitches. :-) You would think they would have a reset button on the blasted thing. :-) I wouldnt worry about it then Tam.

Earl

I posed this same query on the Triumph site (should have thought of that first I suppose but I trust everyone here). The response I received was that it takes 4 cold starts, without boosting, to reset the computer. Seeing as I won't be taking it in for a bit yet, I will give this a try in the meantime.

Thank you.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
              Aw Geez! Isnt it a bitch when even your bike is plagued with computer glitches. :-) You would think they would have a reset button on the blasted thing. :-) I wouldnt worry about it then Tam.

Earl

Thank you.
              I modified the air intake system on my Toyota Celica and every once in a while (in cold weather it sometimes fails to start on the first turn of the key) I get the ?check engine? light on. All I have to do to clear it is remove the fuse for the fuel injection system for a few minutes and then it?s fine. I would think your bike would have to have a similar fuse. It might be worth a try pulling the fuse.

Comment

Failing being able to locate or remove the fuse to reset the computer, one could always just perhaps disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

Comment

Thank you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl

Thank you.
                    ctrl alt delete maybe? Good thing it isnt running a windows operating system on that bike.

Comment

Its a good thing Microsoft hasn't moved its way into the computers on vehicles, we would have to upgrade every year, reboot every 30 miles, and watch out for crap being installed with out our knowledge. I have worked in the computer industry for 15yrs and have disliked Microsoft since day 1. I rant every so often, every time I have to reboot, about Microsoft. That was until I went with Apple, by the way once you go Mac you never go back.

Comment

Cannot say for sure about the Triumph, but a common means of cancelling warning lamps on cars I have owned is to simply shut off the ignition, disconnect the battery cable for a few minutes, then re-connect it.

That action usually clears the computer record, and makes it ready for more information, so if there is a problem, the computer should recognize it when you start the engine, and the light should come back on.

If the warning does not return, then there is likely no serious problem.
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                          Cannot say for sure about the Triumph, but a common means of cancelling warning lamps on cars I have owned is to simply shut off the ignition, disconnect the battery cable for a few minutes, then re-connect it.

That action usually clears the computer record, and makes it ready for more information, so if there is a problem, the computer should recognize it when you start the engine, and the light should come back on.

If the warning does not return, then there is likely no serious problem.
                          The problem with disconnecting the battery on a car is if the car stereo has an anti theft device built in, the radio wont come back on until you put in the unlock code, and most people don't have that code. That's why I pull the fuse for the fuel system which kills the power to the computer thus clearing out the code. I also don't have to reset the clock and all of my presets in the radio.

Comment

Ok, I disconnected the battery, checked the charge, and reinstalled it. Started the bike...no problem with that but the damn light is still on. So then I checked the fuses, as suggested. Started it, still the light. Argh!

Leon, if it is the injectors, as you suggested, what should I do next Anyone can answr if they know...please). The bike is DFI. My car is EFI which I am familiar with. DFI I know nothing about.

Comment

first you need to fix the problem that causes you to need to boost it every start.
                              bad battery,charging problem,or something draining it.
                              there may be a way to get the error code.
                              or is this thing obd2 ?
                              does this bike have an oil pressure light too?i would double check that you really have oil pressure.there was some confusion whether this is an oil light.
                              btw you can have oil in the engine but if the pump isnt working its the same as having none.

Comment

Working...
                              X