No announcement yet.

Idiot Light - solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tam, why did you have to 'boost' it to get it started? Was it because the battery was already dead, or did you just run it down trying to crank it? DFI (Digital Fuel Injection) is much the same in operating principle as EFI, and like EFI, requires a good electrical system. If your batery is weak, I.E. cannot hold a charge under load, it may very well set off an 'idiot light'. The 'poor man's' way to check out a battery under load is to turn ignition on, and ALL electrical junk on it you can. bright lights, blinker/hazard, etc. read a digital voltmeter on the terminals while all this is goin on. A good strong battery should never get under 11.50 volts. this assumes a fully charged battery, of course. If it is under that, I would suggest replacing it first. Then see if the light goes out. If your battery isd more than 2 years old it is prolly on it's way out anyway (for MC batterys anyhoo).

Comment

Tim,

I had to boost it to get it started. It is starting now without hesitation, just the idiot light won't go away.

Comment

since it's fuel injected it may have an oxygen sensor that has failed...short trips where the sensor doesn't get to operating temp can cause them to fail...just a thunk

Comment

So I take it the battery was stone cold dead when you got it out for the first time this year correct?

Comment

The problem is a soft code. It happens when the bike is boosted or started with a low charge. Apparently this is a glitch with most of the Triumph computers. It takes four to six restarts to reset the computer. In otherwords, no longer a problem!

Comment

Working...
            X