Setting idle on a 85 GS700E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting idle on a 85 GS700E

Hi all, great forum glad I found it, hoping someone can help me.
    I just bought a 85 Gs700E and it runs great, except when it idles.. which it doesn't. what is the best way to adjust it, I tried adjusting it from the cable end at the carbs but that just makes it race a bit when I touch the throttle ,oh and it does run a little rich also if that helps. I haven't got a repair manual yet either, what do you suggest? haynes? Clymer? any other I should look at? and one other question is what amount of free play should the chain have, 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" ?? mine is more and I'm sure it's too much as I can kinda feel it when I ride.

Thanks for the help in advance
    Jim

There should be an idle adj. knob under, in the center, & toward the back of the carbs, between the two center float bowls. Apprx 3/4". If you find tight spots in the chain, get it to the tightest spot then try for apprx 1/2"

Comment

I have the same bike. The idle adjustment knob is where rdphillips said it is. If the bike won't idle good after adjusting it, you will probably need to clean the carbs.

The carbs are a B*%$h to get out of that bike if you have the stock air box. I read a thread on here that explains how to get the carbs off the bike. You set on the bike and reach down with hands on either side. Push back to get them out of the boots, then push down and out the right side.

It didn't go like that for me. I am deffinately putting Pods on when I put it back together.

Comment

keep in mind pods and or a 4n1 exhaust is going to give you a jetting nightmare.

I've got the same bike, and I had the same problem of when blipping the throttle, it would race the engine, if you do end up taking the carbs off and cleaning them, which I highly recommend, replace the intake boot o-rings, they can let extra air in and make the enigine race. good luck

Comment

Thanks
          I found the knob, it worked, bike still runs a bit rich, will find that problem, the bike has a 4 into 1 superbike header/exhaust, that I need to fix a broken stud on... fun stuff!!
          any other help is welcome... great forum

Comment

Working...
          X