Ok to dip carb floats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok to dip carb floats?

Got my carbs all separated and #1 disassembled. I have most of the parts for carb #1 in the carb dip bucket right now but I held off on the float. It is really crusty and nasty and needs really cleaned (has a thick layer of varnish) but I didn't want to chance the cleaner destroying the plastic or whatever actually floats. Is is ok to throw this in the dip too?

Come to think of it I don't recall dipping my floats when I rebuilt my carbs (coming up on two years). I think I would remember them, well, floating. Can you use carb spray and a small brass wire brush to clean them off?

Comment

If they are made of anything but metal, don't dip. As the Jiggleman posted - use spray.

Comment

Re: Ok to dip carb floats?

I would not dip plastic (any plastic) floats or otherwise in carb dip. For really crusted floats, I would be inclined to wrap them in a strip of thin rag, saturate the rage with penetrating oil for a day or two, and try brushing them off with a small parts cleaning brush and kerosene.

Earl

Originally posted by pasteurized
        Got my carbs all separated and #1 disassembled. I have most of the parts for carb #1 in the carb dip bucket right now but I held off on the float. It is really crusty and nasty and needs really cleaned (has a thick layer of varnish) but I didn't want to chance the cleaner destroying the plastic or whatever actually floats. Is is ok to throw this in the dip too?
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I will just use the carb cleaner in a can method ;-)

Don't know if that will take all the varnish off, I will give it a try though.

Comment

i'd still be iffy about using carb cleaner on it, as theres some pretty harsh chemicals in there that might not be good. I used some WD-40 on mine, but they werent really dirty.

Comment

Carb cleaner should not be used on plastic or rubber.

Earl

Originally posted by pasteurized
              Thanks for the replies guys. I will just use the carb cleaner in a can method ;-)

Don't know if that will take all the varnish off, I will give it a try though.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yup, carb cleaner in a spray can is pretty aggressive stuff -- DO NOT spray it on plastic foam floats.

You can soak the floats in Sea Foam, which might help loosen the varnish and won't hurt the plastic. Then you might scrubbing VERY gently with a VERY soft toothbrush.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X