Noise from front sprocket???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise from front sprocket???

I have a 1983 GS750T. Over the winter months I took the chain off, cleaned it and waxed it with chain wax/lube. Reinstalled the chain and went for a run today. I was getting a constant snock, snock, snock noise under load. Chain appeared like it might be a bit loose. I adjusted the chain, lubed again and went for another ride. This time I noticed that when I was coasting or if I pulled in the clutch the noise went away. I can feel it a little in the footpegs. The noise appears to be coming from the area of the front sprocket. :?

Any suggestions?

John

Take a look at the sprocket and check the teeth for 'fish hooking'. Could be a bad sprocket or chain. If you replace one replace them all - chain and front and rear sprockets. While the chain is of, wiggle the output shaft and check for play.

Comment

I would check for frozen links in the chain

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I'll pull the cover and have a look. I notice from the schematic that there is a bearing assembly on the shaft. If there is play I guess that means the bearing will need replacing. Is that a big job?

John

Comment

Their will be a little play Replacing the bearing I think requires splitting the cases Most of the time Noises in the area of the chain are caused by a bad chain! Your saying you can feel it in the footpegs MAKES IT THE CHAIN

Comment

Working...
          X