Rear lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear lights

Ok another 85 GS700e question, you guys solved my first question with ease... here goes
    the rear running/blinker lights do not come on, the tail light works fine, the front running lights work but none blink. so
    the little relay under the seat on the right side of the bike does the blinking right? so where should I look to find why no lights in the back?

man I can't wait to get my service manual

Often, there are front running lights, but no rear running lights. That's the case on my GS1100GK -- the signal lights remain lit on the fairing, but not on the rear of the bike.

If Your bike is similar, look into the turn signal circuitry, as the flasher circuit does not appear to be working. Also, check filaments in rear bulbs! If they are toast, you would get the reaction you have experienced.

SV

Comment

Look for the simple things first, are the two rear turn signal bulbs burnt out? If they are and if they work like most cars, the remaining bulb on the side being blinked will not use enough current to trigger the flasher.

Comment

if the bulbs are good, take the relay off the wiring harness, and jump two of the wires, to simulate the relay being on all the time, your blinkers won't blink, but at least that'll tell you that it's a relay problem, not a wiring problem

Comment

I will check those ideas when I get home today.... darn rain, wish it would go away!!

Comment

I must agree with everyone ells. I experienced similar problems with my 79 GS850G when I got it and found the rear bulbs were not burned out but the rear sockets were rusted and corroded pretty bad. The relay that runs the blinkers needs the draw from both bulbs to work properly. Another thing of interest that may save some of us money is in regards to LED lights. I took the LED blinker bulbs out of my car because they were causing problems with the rest of the lighting and installed them on the bike. The LED bulbs would not produce the amount of draw needed to run the blinkers so I currently have 2 LED tail/break light bulbs and 2 LED turn signal light bulbs that are useless LOLJ Go figure at $6.99 each he he hee

Comment

[quote="3phase"]Look for the simple things first, are the two rear turn signal bulbs burnt out? If they are and if they work like most cars, the remaining bulb on the side being blinked will not use enough current to trigger the flasher.[/quote]

And that is usualy how they work on my bikes. If a bulb has gone bad, one light will come on, and stay on, but will not blink.

I don't know the circuitry on your bike, but I do agree with looking at the simple things first.

If your concern is a lack of running lights, then just count the wire leads to the bulb: one for ground, one for running, one for turning.

If you have only two, it is likely a turn signal only.

If you have all three, and nothing works, on either side of the bike, then you need to check back into the wiring, starting with fuses.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I checked and they are only turn signals not running lights too, the fronts are both and the running lights work.
                I can here the relay click once when I turn on the turn signal either way. the relay only has 2 terminals, but the plug for it has 3 wires for 3 terminals, is it posible someone put on the wrong blinker relay? I will scope out the fuse situation... but where are they located?
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by GS700Jim
                  I checked and they are only turn signals not running lights too, the fronts are both and the running lights work.
                  I can here the relay click once when I turn on the turn signal either way. the relay only has 2 terminals, but the plug for it has 3 wires for 3 terminals, is it posible someone put on the wrong blinker relay? I will scope out the fuse situation... but where are they located?
                  Jim
                  Fuses....behind the left side cover.

Comment

Sweet Thanks, I'll check tonight.. I'm hoping to ride to work tomorrow, the weather may hit 70deg. still chilly in the morn but hey!!!

Comment

YES!!! they work now, acyually it was the flasher relay after all! I just picked up a small one at the autoparts store for ha ha's and voila!

Now to find out why I don't have speedo and tach lights.. also nuetral bulb is out... we are getting there!!!!

took her out for a 20 minute ride tonight... ran great, will drive it to work(1/2 hr ride) in the morning!!!

Excited, may not be able to sleep tonight

Comment

The loight in the tach, speedo, and neutral indicator are likely burned out. Just disassemble and replace as necessary.

SV

Comment

Working...
                        X