1985 GS1150E Tire and Rim Upgrade Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS1150E Tire and Rim Upgrade Questions

hello all, I recently purchased a pristine 85 GS1150E. (white and blue) but I am not to happy with the rather thin 3.5 rim on the rear and the somewhat weak front brake system.

I have read many columns concerning upgrading the front and rears, and to be honest I don't want to mod my bike too much.

I am currently thinking of going with a 4.5 rear rim with a 160 sized tire.
    I really like the looks of the GSXR white tri-spoke, so which year would be best to purchase?
    And exactly what needs to be done on this swap, step by step, while still retaining a stock swing arm and as many of the original parts as possible.

As for the front, I have heard a lot of people weigh in on the GSXR front end rolling assembly (tubes, rims, brake caliper and discs) being able to be litterally "dropped in" to the stock GS1150E triple tree. Exactly which year is best for this upgrade, and does it allow for the attachment of the stock speedometer cable from the original instrument cluster?

I have superimposed the white tri-spoke rims onto a photo of my bike and it looks like it will be such an improvement visually, but a good question is will the performance and handling also improve with these modifications?
    any and all help will be appreciated, and please be as specific as possible... ( a 90's fork from a 6/Kat is not as helpful as Front tube assembly from a 1994 Katana 600) I will be taking pics of my mods and giving mad props to all the who help.
    Anal retentive... yes
    while my bike rock?... most definitely.
    and with as little modification pain as possible.

thanx
    kurt

Their is alot of info on the forum

Comment

thanks for the forum link, but I've looked through most every forum that pertains to my bike and I haven't found any concrete answers. I'm sorry for being a stickler but I was hoping that someone here has done what I want to do, and can give me DIRECT information, not a peek at other forums. I'll tell you what I have gleened from over six nights of forum reading...

For my 1985 GS1150E (Sport model, no fairing):
      I currently have stock front and rear tires/rims.
      Most importantly the rear rim is 3.5 inches, wearing a metzler 130/90 - 17" tires.
      Front is stock also.

Most people here discuss swaps concerning the gs1100.
      mine is an 1150, different swing arm, different rim, different geometry,
      not to mention not having twoshocks, but a monoshock.

I am not interested in going to a 5.5 inch rear rim which seems to be the
      size -du jour. I just need an upgrade to the 4.5 inch rear rim.

From what I have read the most popular thing to do is to purchase a 1988GSXR1100 White tri-spoke rim, 4.5 inches in width, and mount it with a 160 profile tire.

This gets mounted onto a 750cc Katana sprocket carrier of unkown year.

The brake caliper hangar is from a 600cc Katana of unknown year, and should be slightly shortened. to what length is also unkown.

no other information exists for this particular modification.

Now the front does seem to be a bit more straight forward.

Find and purchase a front rolling assembly from a 1993 Suzuki GSXR1100. (assembly: triple tree, forks (tubes) calipers, spacers, brake discs, rim, tire, fender, and speedometer cable.

On the stock 1985 Suzuki GS1150, remove front assembly by taking off the weather cap to the steering (axle?), and then loosening and then finally removing the bolt securing the triple tree to the frame. The entire assembly should separate cleanly.
      Position the new 1993 Suzuki GSXR1100 front assembly onto the frame and attach by reinstalling the axle? and tightening the bolt.

re-attach the instrument cluster and headlight/turn signal cluster to the forks / triple tree, and re-attach the speedometer cable.

That in a nutshell is what I think that I have to do in order to finish my
      modification.

(again, I can't use information that is written for the GS1100, and that's what I usually find)

The problem is, I know that some or all of the information I have read might be...innaccurate in the smallest of ways. but those inaccuracies have a way of biting me in the keister. That is why I was hoping someone would be able to offer a shopping list of parts, and their subsequent use/assembly.

Please understand ladies and gentlemen, I have read almost everything I could find through the search command, and so far, this is all I could come up with, and it's not enough.

Comment

Kurt, if my memory serves me correct, the 88 GSXR 1100 used a 18" wheel front and rear. You would need a rear wheel off a 89 or 90 to get the 17" 4.5 rim.
        Doze.

Comment

Doze, thanks for the heads up bro~! get the rear rim from an 1989 or 1990 GSXR as these come in 17" dia / 4.5 width. and as for the 18 inch rims, I have heard a lot of people discuss the PROBLEMS of tire availability in this size. ie the selection is very thin.
          Thank you for updating my shopping list!!

kurt

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Rohmer
            Doze, thanks for the heads up bro~! get the rear rim from an 1989 or 1990 GSXR as these come in 17" dia / 4.5 width. and as for the 18 inch rims, I have heard a lot of people discuss the PROBLEMS of tire availability in this size. ie the selection is very thin.
            Thank you for updating my shopping list!!

kurt
            DOZE, is correct, you would have to go to the 88-and up gsxr wheel, to get a 17" wheel. The front and rear are 17's, just the front is narrower. Also, they are a 3 bar style rim, different from 86-87's The 86-87gsxr, has a 18" rear, and yes there aren't any good hi performance tires in 18's . . .

Comment

hey gilmoses...

you also have an 1985 GS1150E, and it's TURBOCHARGED???!@!!

would love to see pictures, and a full description of what you've done.

I would absolutely kill to put a turbo on my bike. I am currently researching an idea that SQUIRES TURBO SYSTEMS has. It would
              place the turbo underneath the rear seat. (and no, heat wouldn't be a problem, nor would turbo lag).

anyways, I look forward to seeing what you've done.

kurt

Comment

Working...
              X