2nd Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Question...

Well, every time I try to start my 1978 GS550E, 20500 miles, after it has cooled down, the bike gets flooded. I have to remove the plugs and dry the gas off of them, and then I can get the bike started again. Does this sound like the mixture screws on the bottom of the carbs need to be adjusted? If so, how many turns out is recommended?

Charles

How much choke are you giving it? Try it without using the choke at all, or just a little....

Comment

I tried using no choke and various degrees of choke. It sounds like it wants to start, but won't fire off. Then I pull the plugs and at least 2 are wet. After I dry them off and kick the starter a few times to dry out the cylinders it will start. I didn't think the choke would be necessary as the bike is in the garage at about 65 degrees. Thanks!

Charles

Comment

you may want to check your valve adjustments..if they're too tight they may only seal marginally when cold, giving less compression

Comment

Wow, this is starting to sound way too complicated for me...I wonder what a bike shop would charge to get it running properly??

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by chazglenn3
            Wow, this is starting to sound way too complicated for me...I wonder what a bike shop would charge to get it running properly??
            Probably quite a bit! Shops have to charge enough to cover costs. If you can invest some time, the task really isn't that hard. You just need the patience to step through a series of tests to learn whats happening.

Get a manual

Accumulate the necessary tools (Beg, Borrow, Buy)

Be prepared to check:
            - valves (may need fresh top gasket)
            - carbs (may need clean- up or rebuild)
            - carbs (check float height -- often causes flooding & poor running)
            - carbs (check float needle, it may be worn, or sticking)
            - rubber parts (may be dried & cracked)

The greater detail you can post here, the better answer you will get. Remember that we have to interpret the information you supply, in order to help.

Think of it as a jigsaw puzzle, and a logic puzzle rolled into one, only when you finally get the answer, you get to ride your solution!!!

SV

Comment

Could it be that your fuel tap is seeping and preloading the intakes with raw gas? It is not a probability but could be a possible.

Comment

I suppose anything is possible. When the tank is off the bike it doesn't leak any fuel, though. I was looking at the Clymer's manual last night and think that the spark plug wires may be on wrong. I have to go out to the garage and check, but I suppose it wouldn't have run at all if that was the case.

Charles

Comment

Working...
                X