Blinkers not blinking..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinkers not blinking..

My left hand turn signal does not blink, it turns on and stays on, the right one blinks fine, where should I start?

I would check to make sure it is getting a good ground because if one is working then it is not the flasher. Also make sure the bulb is good. I know it sounds funny, but I had one this weekend that I swear was good by looking at it- it looked perfect! Turned out it was bad. Also, someone else in the forum suggested that I make sure all bulbs are the same.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The speed at which the bulbs flash is dependant upon the resistance of the circuit. The flasher is likely OK if one side is flashing, but if one bulb is blown it may not flash the other bulb that's good on that side (kind-of a warning to you that a bulb is blown). I'm not real savvy yet on the bike electrics, but I know this is true with all my vehicles -- including the one I built my own custom wiring harness for. Bulbs are cheap. I usually replace them all at the same time just to make sure everything is bing worked the same. Also check those wire connectors and grounds, which are notorious for failing on bikes.

Cheers,

Roger

Comment

Common sense would tell you that if the lamp lights (even if it doesn't blink) it can't be a problem with the bulb, correct? Perhaps not! In my case, the turn signal filament on the front bulb had broken and was draped across the running light filament. The bulb appeared okay because it lit, but the path of the juice was incorrect, and the different resistance wouldn't make the blinker go (except with the motor goosed).

Comment

Try physically bending up the rear turn signal. I had the same problem and found that bending the light up slightly (just bend the mounting tang a bit) and found that the wire was pinched up against the frame of the bike on the rear left side. This was last resort dumb luck i guess and you should go over the entire circuit during this process also.

~If national holidays were observed on Wednesdays, we would end up with nine-day weekends!~

1977 gs750
          31, XXX km
          slightly modified 8valve engine
          4 into 1, pods, jetting......the usuals

Comment

Originally posted by Al Munro
            and the different resistance wouldn't make the blinker go (except with the motor goosed).
            I changed the stock turn signals on my GS1150 -84 to "mini" turn signals.

The stock turn signals had 21W bulbs, and the "mini" turn signals have a bulb only supplied in 23W.

After the change to 23W bulbs the turn signal does not blink if I have the headlight on and run the bike with an idle speed below 1100 rpm.

So I think the resistance (as bad connections) has influence on the blinking.

Comment

I would try a different flasher unit. The new bulbs may be too much of a load for the old flasher try an automotive type they are only few dollars

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                I would try a different flasher unit. The new bulbs may be too much of a load for the old flasher try an automotive type they are only few dollars
                Lynn, if you adressing my new bulbs...

According to the Suzuki service manual the GSX1100/GS1150 Model E-02,04,15,16,17,18,21,22,25,26,34 and39 should have 21W turn signal bulbs.

The model E-01,24,27 should have 23W turn signal bulbs.

The model codes are country codes and I think in Europe we have 21W for some reason.

Do you know if the different models also have different Turn signal relay?

Comment

Well, it ended up after a couple long trips that everything sorted itself out, they blink correctly nearly all the time now. I kinda assume it's some bad wiring and will run some new stuff if it becomes a problem again. The bike had been sitting before I aquired it, jsut needed some time to realize someone wanted to use it. The horn even works about every other time too

Comment

Originally posted by kz
                    Originally posted by Al Munro
                    and the different resistance wouldn't make the blinker go (except with the motor goosed).
                    I changed the stock turn signals on my GS1150 -84 to "mini" turn signals.

The stock turn signals had 21W bulbs, and the "mini" turn signals have a bulb only supplied in 23W.

After the change to 23W bulbs the turn signal does not blink if I have the headlight on and run the bike with an idle speed below 1100 rpm.

So I think the resistance (as bad connections) has influence on the blinking.
                    I cleaned the connections at the bulb sockets, didn?t look nice, and now my turn signals works fine also at idle speed, with 23W bulbs and headlight on, stock turn signal relay.

Comment

Working...
                    X