450 Crankcase Assembly Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 Crankcase Assembly Questions

Okay, time to start assembly of the crankcase, but 1st I have a few questions for those of you that have done this before. The two spacers that go on the crankshaft the 450 book says to install them along with the crankshaft on the topside of the crankcase. In doing such I don't see how there is room for two of these spacers. I can only manage to get one on. How do you get both of them in? Second issue, there is no gasket for the two halfs, it was originally sealed with a form of RTV but it appears it was extreamly runny stuff. Do I just use high-temp RTV to seal it back? I am trying to use as little RTV as possible. The side cover gasket that holds the clutch basket has been discontinued I was planning on using RTV for that as well or would it be better to cut out my own gasket?

Re: 450 Crankcase Assembly Questions

Originally posted by jayrbaker
    Okay, time to start assembly of the crankcase, but 1st I have a few questions for those of you that have done this before. The two spacers that go on the crankshaft the 450 book says to install them along with the crankshaft on the topside of the crankcase. In doing such I don't see how there is room for two of these spacers. I can only manage to get one on. How do you get both of them in? Second issue, there is no gasket for the two halfs, it was originally sealed with a form of RTV but it appears it was extreamly runny stuff. Do I just use high-temp RTV to seal it back? I am trying to use as little RTV as possible. The side cover gasket that holds the clutch basket has been discontinued I was planning on using RTV for that as well or would it be better to cut out my own gasket?
    Yamaha Bond #4 for the case halves.

Comment

I agree with Dan, the yamabond is great stuff, and the color blends right in with the aluminum of the cases.

Comment

I've used Hndabond before also. Kin of funny how the manufactures jsut put a bond after their name for the same stuff.

Comment

Well got them together today, just one problem there is a crankcase bolt on top under the starter cover when I torqued it snapped all other bolts torqued fine. Would it be okay to leave the bolt broken off or should i try and extract it and replace it? I fear to extract it I am going to have to split the cases again.

As for the spacers I got to researching and found out that particular engine only has on spacer. I have a parts egine that has 2 so I was confused.

Comment

Working...
          X