Oh Geez, my first engine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Geez, my first engine rebuild

hey everybody, in case you didnt catch my intro, Im 21, NCSU mechanical engineering student, and building an '80 GS850 shaftie chop in my apartment kitchen

Im about half way through with it, and once i get the engine done it will be mostlydownhill from there (until i get to the wiring)

So i just got my Gasket kit in today, and am planning on cracking that thing open as soon as possible, and was wondering if any of you more experienced people could give me a heads up or some tips 'n' tricks for this rebuild

thanks
    -Dave

put a good tarp down over the tile or carpet to prevent stains before opening the engine.

Comment

Make sure you get several flavors of the various service manuals for the bike before you need them. The info in them varies greatly at times and you need to be a good diciple to decern the truth from the fiction at times.

Also, a wiring diagram for your exact model is worth it's weight in gold!

One more thing, find old mechanics that worked on these things for years and pump them for info. These critters are nothing like their offspring.

Comment

Good Luck and keep us posted... I have never gotten that deep either and I'd like to see how it goes.

I'm glad I'm not your landlord 8O

Comment

Basically, pull the engine,start at the top and work down. Replace the cam chain and the front and rear cam guides while you have it open.

Also, use "tin"pans or some other containers to hold various subassemblies like the points cover and ignition, clutch, etc. Don't let the parts get mixed up.

You'll probably find aftermarket piston sets to be cheaper than OEM oversize.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

yeah ive been keeping all the parts in plastic bags and i wrote what part it is on the label, as well as draw pics if needed

btw, is there any sites or links that would help me along if i get stuck

I'm sure that if i get stuck in a serious tight spot ill just be back

also, im gonna try and get my roommate to take pics so i can doccument the build, but he is kind of flaky sometimes, so well see

Comment

In my current engine rebuild I have found the schematics that are on bikebandit.com to be very helpful. Also use cardboard boxes w/holes punched in one side w/a screw driver makes a good bolt holder as well you can lable where they go.

Comment

I second on BikeBandit.com, the micro-fiche pix helped me figure out why my clutch wasn't working. . . .A 1/8" spacer, between the clutch basket, and inner hub, cured all . . . .

Comment

Working...
                X