Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

engine teardown/replacing parts, advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine teardown/replacing parts, advice?

hey all. i am thinking of taking my engine out, in order to replace some parts:
    clutch pushrod
    shifter shaft
    all the left side seals for pushrod, shaft, and countershaft.
    is it possible to tear down the top end, and split the cases as to remove JUST the left side? IE: not having to tear apart the clutch basket, and kicker mechanism? while i am at it, i think i may want to replace my cam chains, as i hear a slight whir coming from the top end of the motor, it isn't really pronounced, and may just be some slop in the valvetrain, but i figure that there isn't much to lose by swapping them while the engine is out, and the top end is apart. any one have experience in obtaining these parts? any rough cost estimates?
    also, any links for electronic ignition conversion? would be better than points by far... i remember w/ my beetle swapped to petronix igniter (electronic swap out for points), it was far more dependable, worked well in all weather, and was more or less maintenance free, and a lot more accurate with timing. some help or advice would be nice.

I don't know what bike you have, but most GS's I have seen require all the covers, including the clutch cover, to be removed before splitting the cases
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

1978 GS550C.

Comment

The shifter shaft is an unusual part to need replacement. Why do you say it's bad?

Comment

it has a slight bend in it. it still works though; however, i think the seal may be leaking a little there, so i wan't to replace the bent shaft for security purposes (bend may allow leakage?). other than that, no other reasons.

Comment

In order to split the cases the complete clutch needs to be removed & all covers

Comment

Originally posted by shoggoth80
              it has a slight bend in it. it still works though; however, i think the seal may be leaking a little there, so i wan't to replace the bent shaft for security purposes (bend may allow leakage?). other than that, no other reasons.
              You don't need to split the cases to remove the shift shaft or replace the seal.

If you still want to split them to replace the cam chain, or other components, then the clutch has to come out. Basically strip it.

Comment

Working...
              X