Pingle gasket- is regular rubber ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pingle gasket- is regular rubber ok?

I have a leaky fuel tap. Luckly I have a Pingle sitting around. But I don't have the old gasket from the pingle- I have a big sheet of rubber from a patch kit, do you think the gas will have it for lunch?

I'll just get a rebuild kit for the stocker if that's the case.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Re: Pingle gasket- is regular rubber ok?

I havent tried rubber for a pingel gasket. I make a gasket from some thick gasket material I keep on hand and coat both sides with three bond or yamabond.

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
    I have a leaky fuel tap. Luckly I have a Pingle sitting around. But I don't have the old gasket from the pingle- I have a big sheet of rubber from a patch kit, do you think the gas will have it for lunch?

I'll just get a rebuild kit for the stocker if that's the case.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

When I have my gas tap off, I just use "sealall" sparingly and no problem again. I have been unable to locate rebuild kits for the stock vaccum taps. It was cheaper for me to buy a parts bike but now I have fallen in love with it, all it needs now is a gas tap, doe!!

Comment

gasket

Dont use rubber for fuel and oil it will swell up and rot away, you have to use neoprene, for that job

Comment

Ah, neoprene! Sweet, I'll grab some today.
          Currently bikeless
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I am glad to see someone else that knows about Seal-All..seems to work on all surfaces and seals gas where others fail.

Never found anything to equal it. I have kept tubes of it in my toolboxes for many years.

If you cannot find neoprene readily, take a small section of large diameter gas line hose, split it lengthwise, and you have gas-proof gasket material

Because of the shape, you will have to flatten it, which you do by soaking it for a minute or so in hot water which softens it.

Do not poke the mount holes, drill them. You can mark the spacing on a small piece of wood, then drill right through it and into another small block of wood that you very thoughtfully have placed underneath, to protect the drill bit, and ensure a clean mount hole.

Heat it again, dry, and apply while warm.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'm gonna pick up some of that Seal-All tonight, the threaded portion of the Pingel is a little iffy and I worry about a good seal, so that's perfect!

Great tip on the fuel line, why didn't I think of that?
              Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
              X