How are these compression numbers ?? 1983 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are these compression numbers ?? 1983 GS1100E

I got the bike back from the shop today and she is purring like a freaking tiger. :twisted: :twisted:
    My question is are these numbers acceptable
    The mechanic said they are but I would like a second opinion from the worldly scholars here 8O 8)
    Here are the before and after compression numbers.
    Do they sound right?

Before: 1=173 2= 155 3= 145 4= 174
    After: 1= 178 2= 165 3= 158 4= 180

They said that the 2 inner cylinders run lower and that the numbers are pretty good for a 22 year old bike with 36000 miles on her.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Those numbers have my vote. If the motor was brand new, they would be more even granted but they dont warrant a rebuild as of yet in my opinion especially at this time of year. Enjoy and check again at the end of your riding season.

Comment

I'm not sure if 'worldy scholar' fits, but those numbers look good to me also.

Comment

Looks good to me. Yes, after 36k of the inner cyl's runing a little hotter than the outer ones, they probably will be slightly lower. What is the before & after, is the first readings dry & the second with a little film of oil? or did the shop tune it up or something? No matter what, looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
          Looks good to me. Yes, after 36k of the inner cyl's runing a little hotter than the outer ones, they probably will be slightly lower. What is the before & after, is the first readings dry & the second with a little film of oil? or did the shop tune it up or something? No matter what, looks good.
          Ooopss
          The before and after is , when I took it in they did a valve adjustment.
          They found a few of the exhaust valves tight. Other then that the engine was running fine.
          I just wanted to see how the numbers ran across the board. No plan for any work besides maybe needing a back tire after I wear this new one down riding. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
            I'm not sure if 'worldy scholar' fits, but those numbers look good to me also.
            Aw, quit being so modest. Your opinion is right up there with earl's and John's
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Clean bill of health. The bike is ready for Summatime!
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
              X