Pingel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pingel question

Let's say I forget to turn the Pingle Petcock off when I get to work. Let's say I remember oh, say, 3 hours after I get to work and shut it off then. Am I going to have any problems? How long can I leave that thing in the on position without doing damage? This is all persay of course.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

As long as your float needle and seats are OK, you should be fine.

Comment

Re: Pingel question

If you forget to turn off the fuel, if the float valves are sealing, nothing happens. However, regardless of how new my float valves were, I would change the oil and filter immediately to eliminate any POSSIBLE problem. After leaving it parked a couple of times while you go and get oil and a filter and having to change it in a parking lot with a plastic tub under it to catch the oil. I dont think you will have any further memory problems. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
      Let's say I forget to turn the Pingle Petcock off when I get to work. Let's say I remember oh, say, 3 hours after I get to work and shut it off then. Am I going to have any problems? How long can I leave that thing in the on position without doing damage? This is all persay of course.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
        If you forget to turn off the fuel, if the float valves are sealing, nothing happens. However, regardless of how new my float valves were, I would change the oil and filter immediately to eliminate any POSSIBLE problem. After leaving it parked a couple of times while you go and get oil and a filter and having to change it in a parking lot with a plastic tub under it to catch the oil. I dont think you will have any further memory problems. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
        Those pingels are great for flushing the engine a time or two 8O 8O It's the smoothest fuel valve i ever had

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]If you forget to turn off the fuel, if the float valves are sealing, nothing happens. However, regardless of how new my float valves were, I would change the oil and filter immediately to eliminate any POSSIBLE problem. After leaving it parked a couple of times while you go and get oil and a filter and having to change it in a parking lot with a plastic tub under it to catch the oil. I dont think you will have any further memory problems. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Not disagreeing with you Earl, as that is the smartest and surest thing to do, but I have left my pingel on a few times (easy to do when you first install it) and when I have, I just check the oil level to see if it has changed AT ALL, and also I feel and smell the oil to be sure. I'm a mechanic, so I feel confident with this, but if there are any doubts about it, go with Earls advice and change the oil. I've heard a few stories on this site about the fuel sitting in the cylinder when trying to start it, and the motor "hydraulics", which can cause serious damage. Being a fairly new GS owner, I got lucky after buying the bike and starting it many times with the gas leaking by before realizing it and getting it under control. Just my thoughts.....

MIKE: 81GS1100EX, KZ dragbike, 84 Honda Interceptor.

Comment

Not to mention that FIRE is possible...and those intake boots and etc are kinda pricey....

Comment

I agree with MCracing...check the oil level and see if it has "made" any oil. If the level is ok then you should be fine. Also, If you open the oil fill cap and smell inside you will smell gas if any leaked into your crankcase. Earl makes a good point that if you do have gas in the oil, change it.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse47
                Not to mention that FIRE is possible...and those intake boots and etc are kinda pricey....
                Thats interesting--Is it really possible to start the bike on fire from leaving a manual petcock on-I thought that the floats would leak slowly(if they leak at all) and the gas would just seep past the pistons into the oil???

Comment

Working...
                X